A product of HBT [you lot]; The FermHead. Fit it to Fermonster, Sankey...whatever..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broken Crow

Ale's what cures 'ya
Reaction score
I switched from glass carboys to Fermonsters for easier handling and options, and I also had interest in using Sankey kegs as fermentors for 12G batches that I want to leave longer.... Of course Oxygen-free transfers come into it, so I spent a lot of time reading the Fermonster thread (Turning your Fermonster into a complete closed transfer system for cheap!) One of my issues with putting bulkheads into a plastic Fermonster lid is that I don't want to put that much pressure on plastic when attaching a disconnect....I want somthing to hold on to with my other hand and brace it... In terms of using a Sankey, I've really wanted Norcal's Cross-Frementer Sanke Keg Cross Fermenter Kit. NorCal Brewing Solutions But... with a floating diptube, however the float-ball needs you to cut off the rim inside the coupler collar...OK...then what.
Well... Here's what I came up with:
IMG_1406.jpeg
IMG_1407.jpeg
IMG_1408.jpeg
IMG_1411.jpg

Ideally, I'd use a longer diptube, but I don't have any about to cut down for the task. The last picture is my test in which I used my Fermonster to serve up 7.5G of StarSan while sanitizing and purging my cornys.
I wanted to wait till I brewed a batch in both a fermonster and in a Sankey to post pics and experience, but my health issues are making that take too long so I thought I'd post it here for anyone else to try out.
(oh yeah: I've been calling it 'The FermHead', but I'm not a business, and this forum and it's members are the makers of it... if @Bobby_M can maybe streamline/improve and source the parts cheaper in bulk..particularly a longer diptube...I freely offer you the name, you've been ripped off my so many others and I love you're products and the one head can be adapted to many fermenting vessels, even @bracconiere 's milk-cans)
This device has greatly simplified things for me, so Thank You HBT!
:bigmug:

Heck.. no feedback. I know it's obvious, but did my damaged brain manage to contrive something simple but usefull or is it completely redundant to anyone but me? ... I'm looking for Cons..

It will definitely work, but I'm torn on whether it's really a positive direction from just using the two ball lock bulkheads. One small hitch is that the larger 1/2" NPT parts are not really a bulkhead in the same way. Another possible issue is that the whole assembly is quite tall. If you use a mini-fridge headroom can be a concern. To your point, applying any stress to the plastic lid could cause damage and I'd argue that a larger handle/lever can do some damage too.

Thanks for that! I hadn't thought of putting it in a fridge as I still lack economical temperature control. As to the 'bulkhead'; It's just a close-coupler on the tee and a groved steel nut with o-ring on the inside...I ran it up to 5psi and there were no leaks thankfully.. I've found that I just naturally grab the cross with my left hand to brace it when connecting/disconnecting or turning the blow-off valve because I'm an old fart who distrusts plastic, but I can easily see how doing those things without bracing could cause the lid to crack or leak. I imagine it will work just fine with a Sankey once I cut the inner rim out to make passage for the float... Maybe not for everyone with a Fermonster. I'm hoping I'll be able to brew a batch to go in the Fermonster soon and try and report back with how it went.
:bigmug:

Back