Best Way To Store Your Oxygen Stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
I keep mine in a plastic bag but was wondering if there is a better option...thanks!

hmmm...this is what i do too. always kind of wondered if there was a better method! interested to see what others do

Lately I've been storing mine stone-side-up in a pitcher, i.e., exposed to the air.

When I first got it, I stored it in a small self-closing bag. Got some black stuff on it that I didn't like.

Whenever I use it, i first sanitize/sterilize it by dunking it in a beaker of boiling water. I dunk it again when finished aerating the beer.

I've been leaving mine in a small container with Starsan together with other small pieces that remain sanitized forever.

When it's on the wand between uses, I tend to leave it on there, under a few inches of Starsan in a bucket. I did notice, over time, some Starsan must have evaporated and re-condensed inside my tubing, leaving little droplets. No mold or anything, just clear droplets.

I think I read @IslandLizard posting about the StarSan, but while i liked it my stone is welded to SS wand and I had no container suitably sized. I rinse in water after using, dunk in StarSan and run O2 to unclog pores (overkill maybe) and place while wet into the ziplock bag covering stone and lower part of wand. Before using next time I dunk in StarSan and again run O2 to see it's working and I still have O2.

After I clean it following use, I soak it in Star San then hang it up to dry.
I leave it on the end of the wand, which is still attached to the tube and attached to the regulator.
It's stainless steel, it doesn't need babying.

Though I would NEVER store it in a plastic bag, because it is, after all, porous. If you didn't get it 100% clean, the bag will keep moisture in, which will provide a fertile breeding ground for gremlins.
It should either be hung out to dry or kept in a sanitizer solution.

What about a dishwasher? Since it's stainless, I figured I could put it in one of those containers that hold smaller items that can fall through the racks. The heating element could sterilize the stone as it's drying off.

I've only used mine once, since I recently purchased it. After I was done, I boiled it for a couple of minutes, blew oxygen through it, and let it air dry on the shelf of one of my brew racks.

After I clean it following use, I soak it in Star San then hang it up to dry.
I leave it on the end of the wand, which is still attached to the tube and attached to the regulator.
It's stainless steel, it doesn't need babying.

Though I would NEVER store it in a plastic bag, because it is, after all, porous. If you didn't get it 100% clean, the bag will keep moisture in, which will provide a fertile breeding ground for gremlins.
It should either be hung out to dry or kept in a sanitizer solution.

When Starsan dries on on the backside of mason jar lids I sometimes notice a greasy residue. Not sure where that comes from. In order to prevent that from potentially clogging the pores, I keep the stones submerged and Starsan is the best candidate, IMO.

I agree that storing it wet/damp inside a bag could get stuff to grow. One would think what's been sanitized, should remain sanitized right? Not always so, the condensate is the problem, it's "distilled" water, which has no sanitizing properties. It allows molds and bacteria to grow. I noticed after 2-3 weeks the undersides of lids covering the Starsan buckets become covered in black mold spots. Even when the lids were Starsaned before.

I store my wand in a ziploc, now after I use it I'll dunk it in star San andcthne wrap it in paper towel then about an hour later I'll change the paper towel as it'll be wet from the liquid leeching out of the stone. When the paper towel is dry whether it's one or two changes of paper towel I'll keep it wrapped then put the stone end in a ziploc bag. So far so good. I did once early on when I got the stone just wrapped it in paper towel and left it and when I came back two weeks later there was black stuff or mold on the stone, I then boiled it to resanitize it and haven't had a prob. I do on every two beers boil the stone end of the wand in boiling water just to resanitize it for my own peace of mind.

I store my wand in a ziploc, now after I use it I'll dunk it in star San andcthne wrap it in paper towel then about an hour later I'll change the paper towel as it'll be wet from the liquid leeching out of the stone. When the paper towel is dry whether it's one or two changes of paper towel I'll keep it wrapped then put the stone end in a ziploc bag. So far so good. I did once early on when I got the stone just wrapped it in paper towel and left it and when I came back two weeks later there was black stuff or mold on the stone, I then boiled it to resanitize it and haven't had a prob. I do on every two beers boil the stone end of the wand in boiling water just to resanitize it for my own peace of mind.

I guess I don't understand why the final step would be storing it in a plastic bag. Do you store any of your other stainless steel brewing equipment in plastic? Let it dry, as per your procedure, which is a good one, and let it be exposed to air. Before you use it again in your next batch you're going to sanitize i again anyway, right?

I rinse mine off while the o2 is still pumping through it. Once clean I just let it sit out in the open. On brew day I put it in the HLT so it gets heat sanitized (170 min temp).

I guess I don't understand why the final step would be storing it in a plastic bag. Do you store any of your other stainless steel brewing equipment in plastic? Let it dry, as per your procedure, which is a good one, and let it be exposed to air. Before you use it again in your next batch you're going to sanitize i again anyway, right?

True. I guess it came wrapped that way so I just kept doing it.

I think most peeps want to put it on bag because it is porous and susceptible to infection? What about boiling it pre-use? I imagine that would take care of it? I'm really reconsidering the whole "leave it in a bag" like I typically do. Never noticed any residue or mold, but I guess that doesn't mean there could be Gremlins inside? I think I'll just keep boiling pre use...

Mine sits out with my other brew gear until I need it then I'll put it in star SAN and turn it on. No issues, I think the big thing is to not touch it because the oils on your hand can clog the holes/pours

I rinse and star san immediately after pulling it out of the wort, without shutting off the oxygen. Then, on bottling day, I boil it in the water that I use to bulk prime -- prior to adding sugar, of course. After that, it hangs free in the breeze to dry, attract air-borne microbes, and pick up faint signals from overseas radio stations. Sometimes, if you listen carefully, you can hear Kim Jong-un telling his people that the pursuit of nuclear weapons is far more important than having enough to eat. Maybe I need to boil longer.

I rinse and starsan after use and let it air dry in the kitchen. I then loosely wrap in foil to keep dust and other nastiness of it and store it. I don't like the idea of storing in a plastic bag for the reasons others have mentioned. I probably should boil it every now and then, but it does get dunked in starsan before use and then some O2 flow.

What about a dishwasher? Since it's stainless, I figured I could put it in one of those containers that hold smaller items that can fall through the racks. The heating element could sterilize the stone as it's drying off.

I've only used mine once, since I recently purchased it. After I was done, I boiled it for a couple of minutes, blew oxygen through it, and let it air dry on the shelf of one of my brew racks.

Think about all those little particles of food in your dishwasher just waiting to clog up those nice little holes in your new stone and spoil your beer! PBW, hot water rinse, star San and air dry then store it in a little sanitized Tupperware sealed container.

I put my aeration stone back in StarSan after use and crank up the O2 to clean it out. I then let it air dry and then store in a plastic bag. I always avoid skin/oil contact

I rinse and starsan after use and let it air dry in the kitchen. I then loosely wrap in foil to keep dust and other nastiness of it and store it. I don't like the idea of storing in a plastic bag for the reasons others have mentioned. I probably should boil it every now and then, but it does get dunked in starsan before use and then some O2 flow.

hmmm - i'm liking this method with the tinfoil. might go this route moving forward.

I'd not considered the plastic allowing things to fester. And I liked the idea of keeping in StarSan but can't. But where I keep my brewstuff will get dust and so I am also thinking the foil after air drying is good. I would not do a paper towel as they are not lint free and I wouldn't want to have paper bits possibly clogging up the pores. Might disrupt the overseas radio signal reception.

Haven't read all the responses so maybe someone has mentioned the same technique.
My stone is silver soldered to a stainless steel tube. I have two 1" PVC pipe lengths several inches longer than my oxygenation tube that are both capped at one end.
I sanitize them with Star San and store the wand and stone in one of these. The wand and stone both dry out and are ready to use. Of course I sanitize the wand and stone again before using.

Add me to the list of people who store theirs in a StarSan solution. It's simple enough to do, I don't need to worry about misplacing it, it's always sanitized and nothing will live in there. The only downside is I've forgotten to drain the StarSan out of it and it's acted like it was clogged. It too a few minutes before I realized it.

StarSan is helpful in keeping deposits from forming in the pores since it is an acid. However, StarSan is not a great sanitizer and does not kill all organisms. It's definitely not good with molds and spores. Iodophor is a better sanitizer in the brewery. Bleach is also a great sanitizer but it isn't suited for brewing and it will corrode stainless.

I suggest that occassional soaks in StarSan are OK, but iodophor should be your primary sanitizer. Keeping the stone dry and wrapped is probably better for long term care.

Back