Best way to keep a keezer dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AerationStation

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got an 8.8 cu ft and I was wondering if I should worry about moisture building up inside the freezer and allowing mold to grow(it's set with a controller for 40°F with a 5°F offset). If it's a problem what do you guys do to clear it up?

If you are using it as a keezer then the first step is to make certain that there are no air leaks. I put an LED lantern inside mine and then turned off all room lights to look for any gaps around the collar.

The two primary methods of drying the air in the keezer are to use a calcium chloride product such as DampRid or use something rechargeable with silica gel such as an EvaDry unit.

The CaCl product attracts moisture and disolves, so the liquid is thrown out and the crystals must be replaced periodically. The silica gel absorbs moisture and occasionally must be heated to drive off the moisture and recharge.

I use a silica gel unit from Stack-On designed for gun safes. It indicates when it needs recharging and is plugged into a wall outlet to recharge. I hang it near the fan that circulates air inside the keezer.

I have a sponge in the bottom corner and all kegs on wood stands made from dowels and beer barrel pucks that used to be installed to indicate beer brand in old stainless kegs. Keep your lid closed and you should be good to go. Lid steal is paramount to success! Squeeze out sponge when required. I like the idea of kegs on stands myself. Any spills are noticed immediately and nothing sticks!

You aren't going to have a bone dry keezer. It will make a little water. When you change kegs, clean your beer lines and wipe your keezer down. Mine makes about 1/4 cup of water a month. No issues with mold or anything.

When I first set mine up, I obsessed about condensation. RDWHAHB.

Back