Best way to activate yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tCan

Reaction score
So in biology one of the fundamental concepts is that those most suited to their environment pass their genes with greater incidence than those who are less well adapt. Now I was wondering if you guys think it's better to activate yeast in warm water and add to room temp wort, or if adding to a warm wort after a boil would work just as well.

On the one hand, the activate before pitching to room temp wort method might 'shock' the culture a bit because of the abrupt temperature change. On the other hand, if you pitch to a warm wort, individuals who can't tolerate the higher temperature will die, and once the wort cools, the only remaining individuals might be those adept to survive in high temperatures, and would be less productive once the wort cools.

Obviously both methods will work. I'm just wondering what you might think would typically result in the fastest fermentation.

Let's assume 'warm' to mean 120F as an absolute maximum. Or about 5 degree over the recommended activation temperature for many yeasts.

What type of yeast? I couldn't imagine pitching any yeast at 120F. If you are using liquid you should consider a starter. If you use liquid without a starter you should try to cool wort to your fermentation temp and then pitch. Same with a starter.

I don't use dry yeast much but when I do I just pitch it dry into the wort when the wort is at fermentation temp for that yeast. I never have had a poor fermentation by doing this.

In such matters it pays to follow the advice of the manufacturer. He has done the reasoning you are doing and has verified by experiment that whatever method of rehydration he recommends is best for his product.

In such matters it pays to follow the advice of the manufacturer. He has done the reasoning you are doing and has verified by experiment that whatever method of rehydration he recommends is best for his product.

Lager Yeasts by WhiteLabs v T-58 for example, 2 entirely different animals... :)

Go to the manufacturers web-site and select your product

Back