Best Temp Controller for Dorm Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpcoote

Reaction score
I'm looking to convert an old dorm fridge into a fermentation chamber for one gallon lager batches, and was wondering if there is one temperature controller that most people would recommend. I'm looking to use it only for primary lager fermentation, and as it seldom gets that cold to begin with here in New Orleans I only need it handle cooling, not heating.

Pretty much all of them will work for cooling, so whatever you can find cheap would be best. The STC-1000 is quite popular for that reason. The only downside is that you have to do a little bit of wiring and it displays in celcius. For the price though, most people are willing to just print out a conversion table and tape it on the side of the fridge. :) You can pick them up for $15 or so vs $70+ for some of the brewshop models.

Would this STC-1000 be found at a Home Depot like place? I am using a kegerator that my buddy gave me for the same thing. But the temp seems to fluctuate since the temp settings are just 1-6. Any feedback on where to find the equipment will help. Thanks!

Just type STC-1000 into amazon. You aren't going to find these at HD. If you have a local brew shop, they will carry some temp controller, but it will likely be in the $70+ range.

Back