Best source for beginner all grain recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefjeremy

Reaction score
Looking to start my second batch soon (first was a brooklyn brew kit). Where is the best place to find some simple recipes with straightforward instruction?

If you need step-by-step instructions and prefer the convenience of a kit, I would recommend either northernbrewer.com or austinhomebrew.com. I've used all-grain kits from both of them, and was pleased with the ingredients and the clear instructions.

Otherwise, you can find just about any recipe you want and post it on this forum. We can type out the "how to" for you.

One source I use is Northern Brewer. http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/ If you look at the kit's page there is a tab for additional information. The list the ingredients and amounts and have decent directions that can be printed. I often use the site for looking at a recipe or style then adjust in Beersmith to my liking.

I'll second "Brewing Classic Styles" even as a more experienced homebrewer, I've started brewing my way through this book, it's a good foundation builder.

"Brewing Classic Styles" is amazing. The recipe database here at HBT is extremely useful.

Honestly, though, unless you get into something like decoction mashing, there's not a huge amount of difference between brewing a SMaSH (single malt, singe hop) beer and some beer with a complex grain bill and multiple hops.

You're going to dump all of the grains in and mash them together, anyway. the hop schedule and the length of the boil are typically the only variables.

I turn so many new brewers onto this book in the store. I like the simple, straightforward approach JZ takes with it. When your ready the next great book for the AG brewer is Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels.

Cheers
Jay

They BYO 250 clone recipes magazine is a really good reference, as well as brewing classic styles.

The cool thing about 250 clone recipes is that it shows what is in a lot of beer that you have had, to help you get a grip on what some of the different grains, yeasts, and hops do for the flavor of a beer. For example: you've probably had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, so you know what cascade hops bring to a beer.

Latest posts

Back