Best Pre-assembled Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chavi

Reaction score
I have been brewing electrically for a while when one of my friends made me a control panel. It worked well until it shorted out and almost electrocuted me. I don't know anything about electricity and quite frankly is scares me in the same way tornados scare me. Anyway, I do not brew electrically now because I want to do this right the next time by buying a pre-assembled kit which can work for a herms system. Essentially, I want a kal clone. I do not plan on buying anything for probably 3 or so years (until I can get a better job), but I love planning and getting my ideas together. I do not have any wiring or soldering skills, so I figure I should shell out the cash and buy a pre-made one. Kal sells his 30a assembled controller for 2154, Electric Brewing Supply sells a BCS controlled 30a for 1450, and Brewmation sells a controller for somewhere in the same range. Having never used any of these, which is best? Also, are there other options out there?

Great question Chavi......I'm in the exact same boat and have been researching the hell out of these things. I converted my keggles and plumbed them all to Kal's specification with the intent on purchasing the unassembled kit and building it myself. Like yourself, I have little electrical circuitry background and decided to spend the cash for an assembled unit. I just can't stomach the $2150 for Kal's, although it is by far the coolest looking one that I have researched and has the most bells and whistles. I have not researched the brewmation system, so I can't speak to that, but have looked an awful lot into the BCS system.

Over the past few days, I have been working with Ryan at www.ebrewingsupply.com to come up with a plan for a pre-assembled control panel. I really like the BCS based 30 amp. panel for 2 elements that he offers for $1450. Rather than a traditional PID control panel where you manually adjust settings, turn on/off pumps, elements, etc. right on the panel, the BCS works off of a web based platform. I have an Ipad and an IPhone that I can use to monitor and control temps, turn on pumps, etc. Although his panel does not have all of the bells and whistles that Kal's does, he is willing to add to the panel items such as alarms to alert you when each of the brewing processes are complete. He also can add a wifi adapter to the panel, so that it can catch the signal from a wireless router to communicate with the BCS website, which is what you access to control and monitor your brewing session.

Ryan's panel also comes with several extras that aren't included in Kal's such as all of the twist lock plugs for your pumps and elements, the power supply cord for the panel with twist lock plug, 4 temperature probes, etc......all of which cost extra going the other route. I guess it all comes down to how involved you want to be in the brewing process and if you prefer a more hands on brewing experience. I have all of the respect in the world for Kal and his knowledge, and do not feel that his pricing is at all out of line for what you get. His panel is top shelf and absolutley gorgeous, but for me, I have a hard time paying that much more than what I can get from Ryan. In the end, I have to remind myself that this is a hobby and at times it's very easy to get carried away with things.

Whatever you decide, please keep me posted. For me however, I'm ordering the one for $1450 and adding the wifi adapter for $75, which keeps me within budget and allows me to devote the extra funds towards finishing the rest of my brewery. Good luck! :mug:

Thank you hoppo so much for that thorough review of the BCS controller and the Kal controller. I also have an Ipad and like the idea of monitoring everything using it. I agree that sometimes I get carried away with this hobby and I honestly have a hard time justifying spending 2k just for the controller. This is not to say that it isn't worth it or well built. I am now going to do some more investigating on the BCS controller and its functionality since it is ~700 bucks cheaper. Interestingly, the assembled element kits are cheaper from theelectricbrewery than from ebrewingsupply, so I may buy the panel from ebrewsupply and the parts from theelectric brewery. Also, I didnt know that the kits came with the temp probes which is a HUGE plus. By the way, I follow all of your builds and think they are so incredible!

No problem man....thanks for the compliments. :mug:

Keep in mind that Kal does a fantastic job of walking you through the process of building your own heating element assemblies. You can easily build a pair of your own for slightly over 1/2 the price of buying them assembled. I already built mine and have everything except for the wiring/plug/wire clamp.

Camco 5500w Elements - $22 each on Ebay
Red Dot 2 Gang Weatherproof box - $13 each at HD
Stainless 2 Gang Blank Cover - $8 at Menards
Large Lock Nut - $5 at Brew Hardware
O-rings - $10 pack of 25 at McMaster-Carr
SS shim - $3 each at McMaster Carr
Odds and ends like #6 machine screws, lock washers, nuts maybe $3 total
JB weld and food grade sealant $10
Paint $7 at HD

I didn't have the wire, plug, expandable sleeve, wire clamp, shrink wrap tubing at this point, but I noticed that Ryan at www.ebrewsupply.com has the 10 guage wire in 10ft. sections for $15 each. I emailed him and he also is willing to sell me the 3/4" NPT waterproof aluminum wire clamps for $12 each to secure the wire to the box. Also, since the control panel comes with the locking plug assemblies and I'm ordering quite a bit from him, he is thowing in the expandable wire sleeve and shrink tubing.....and offered to assemble the element cords for no extra charge. So basically, I have $179 into both elements by sourcing the parts myself, and by going with Ryan for the panel. He has been great to work with. Hope this info helps.

Wow that is so much cheaper. I didnt even bother looking at building them my own figuring I needed to solder, but I will definitely do that. Thanks again for the information! I will update this thread as I make progress.

Just want to put out there--in three years you can learn a lot about electricity, electronics, soldering, etc. None of these is rocket surgery (not on the level you need for this kind of project, anyway). There's nothing wrong with buying pre-assembled, but it'd still be worth your time to learn a bit about the basic concepts.

Latest posts

Back