Best News Headlines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• fearful-manager-karen-meme.jpg.jpg
    fearful-manager-karen-meme.jpg.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/grocery-chain-removing-self-checkout-223323874.html
Maybe this headline belongs in debate if it starts a holy war for/against self checkouts. Mostly I am agnostic, but I also seem to have inordinate bad luck knowing whether to look up "scallions" or "green onions" when there's No Freaking PLU STICKER AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Move along.
Nothing to see here.
I have to go buy some scallions for tonight's dinner.

Or green onions.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/grocery-chain-removing-self-checkout-223323874.html
Maybe this headline belongs in debate if it starts a holy war for/against self checkouts. Mostly I am agnostic, but I also seem to have inordinate bad luck knowing whether to look up "scallions" or "green onions" when there's No Freaking PLU STICKER AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Move along.
Nothing to see here.
I have to go buy some scallions for tonight's dinner.

Or green onions.
Err - spring onions....

Whilst people are trying to make out that this has more fundamental significance, if you see this thread from an insider, it seems to be more about putting a PR gloss on the removal of tills that are obsolete and never properly worked in the first place :

Booths is a weird supermarket anyway, it's probably our closest equivalent to Whole Foods but aspires to be more like a chain of department store food halls.

Self checkout is fine for express checkout or when you're buying birth control 'raincoats' ;) . Back before we had kids and my wife and I lived about two miles from a grocery store and visited it every other day and didn't buy much each visit, we used self checkout a bunch. Now that we live further away from the grocery store, and we're feeding more people, we try to plan ahead more and stock up so self checkout would be a huge hassle. That's just my take on it.

Last edited:
Haven’t worried about ‘raincoats’ (I thought we were the ones who thought up that euphemism) for a lonnggg time. There are, however, other ‘items’ that are better kept discrete when trying not be “em bare assed” by a check out clerk.

That said, I do get a kick out of seeing wry smiles on the checker’s face, knowing that old boomers still have what it takes 😏.

Of course I’m talking about Depends. Or not.

Haven’t worried about ‘raincoats’ (I thought we were the ones who thought up that euphemism) for a lonnggg time. There are, however, other ‘items’ that are better kept discrete when trying not be “em bare assed” by a check out clerk.

That said, I do get a kick out of seeing wry smiles on the checker’s face, knowing that old boomers still have what it takes 😏.

It really depends.

Hey, no need to leak that kind of information.

Err - spring onions....

Whilst people are trying to make out that this has more fundamental significance, if you see this thread from an insider, it seems to be more about putting a PR gloss on the removal of tills that are obsolete and never properly worked in the first place :

Booths is a weird supermarket anyway, it's probably our closest equivalent to Whole Foods but aspires to be more like a chain of department store food halls.

I always thought Booths was a Pharmacy, after I figured out that a Chemist was a Pharmacist.

I remember in the 90's, 'micro-brews' suddenly getting popular and expanding capacity and it's always seemed to me that there's some kind of threshold for vessel size, after which beer loses it's detail and definition and begins to taste generic.
Rickards Red for example, tasted great to me in the 80's, but now it screams "BMC' to me....that's only one.
Never been a fan of Labatts and wondering why this crap is still expanding while Good smaller breweries are failing in a time when I had hope that the demographic that enjoy's Good Beer has so wonderfully grown would finally help kill off a lowest common denominator on the corporate check-list.
https://windsornewstoday.ca/london/...-expansion-to-boost-production-sustainability

I know my tastes change over the years, even for beers I have made.
My tastes change too, but apart from that I've had beers that seem to lose something when the brewery moves to larger vats...I remember it happening to a few micro-brews that got popular in the 90's.... not all, but some of them seemed to lose their detail when they got popular and had to boost production. Was wondering if that was just me.

Blakeslee didn’t claim to have any sort of mental illness, and denied that his hobby was related to a diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder he received after serving in Vietnam. But, he said, “there has to be something going on that’s related to some of the things I went through in early life.”

Or he's just an a-hole...

Back