best metal band of all time (metallica not allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Origin is an awesome band. And they play with plenty of emotion, its just that emotion isn't happiness, sorrow, love, joy, or melancholy like you might be used to - the emotions they play with are rage, hatred, contempt and disgust - lol

I guess if you don't like Origin there is not any point in recommending Necrophagist to you, you wouldn't like them either even though they're amazing.

yeah i have listened to necro, they arent quite my style. I do love good death metal though like dying fetus, CC, Obituary, Suffocation, Crionics, Vader, deicide, older deathchain ect.

Origin just doesnt quite do it for me.

Oh man, Opeth last night was awesome, although they didn't play masters apprentices. But they made up for it with ending with demon of the fall. Enslaved could have played old stuff (anything off eld or frost) but I was kinda expecting that. Has anyone seen this show yet? Any thoughts?

Niether band is coming near me, but I wouldn't see it anyway - I can't deal with that prog influenced death metal, it just makes me sick.

I can't believe there's so many fellow metal heads here. Very cool!

My favorite metal bands are:

King Diamond
Slayer
Death
Metallica - Yeah, Lars is a dip****, but still living legends and a killer band. :)
Iron Maiden
Sabbath
Ozzy - Especially the Randy Years
Disturbed
Judas Priest
Iced Earth

Just to name a few. :)

Oh man, Opeth last night was awesome, although they didn't play masters apprentices. But they made up for it with ending with demon of the fall. Enslaved could have played old stuff (anything off eld or frost) but I was kinda expecting that. Has anyone seen this show yet? Any thoughts?

I like the Damnation album by Opeth. I can't get past the cookie monster voice on the other albums.

I'd have to go with Sabbath--they laid the groundwork.

Two that I have gotten into recently, and highly recommend are The Sword and Mastodon.

Children of Bodom
Kalmah
Trivium
Lamb of God
Opeth

but early thrash Metallica always hits the spot.

Austrian Death Machine.

Of course all the songs sound the same...They all sound BRUTAL!!!

here is the point.

There are several metalheads here on HBT.
If it is metal, it is most likely on the playlist for many of us while we are brewing.

King Diamond IS the king however.
let no one doubt that.

Ummm...I think myself to be a true metalhead....

Metal has evolved over the years...

Blue Cheer
King Crimson
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath/Ozzy Ozbourne
Metallica
Megadeath
Slayer
Testament
Anthrax
Overkill
Metal Church
Death Angel...

All are excellent examples

Try out:
Candlemass
Sepultura
Overkill
Biohazard
Krux
Massacre
Death
Cannibal Corpse
Capital Punishment

All of which scrape the top of speed, doom, death, thrash, heavy metals...With so much more to be offered when you dig deeper..

My favorites?

Candlemass
Slayer
Pantera
Testament
Overkill
Iron Maiden
Type O Negative
King Diamond
Metallica (pre And Justice for All, everything after...not so good)
Motorhead
Megadeath
King Crimson
Anthrax

in that order (subject to change upon whim)

Blue Cheer
King Crimson
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Megadeath
Slayer
Testament
Anthrax
Overkill
Metal Church
Death Angel...

Try out:
Candlemass
Sepultura
Overkill
Biohazard
Krux
Massacre
Death
Cannibal Corpse
Capital Punishment

All of which scrape the top of speed, doom, death, thrash, heavy metals...With so much more to be offered when you dig deeper..

My favorites?

Candlemass
Slayer
Pantera
Testament
Overkill
Iron Maiden
Type O Negative
King Diamond
Motorhead
Megadeath
King Crimson
Anthrax

I like you .... you can stay.

I've recently discovered the wonderful world of metal. Goatwhore, Amon Amarth, Mastodon, Dragonforce, Mouth Of The Architect and Rhapsody get regular rotation on my stereo. Especially the first two.

I assume this thread is about general Metal bands, and not specific classic Metal...

So if I am going to throw my hat into the ring I guess....

Judas Priest is way up there on best metal bands
Disturbed is my go-to metal band
Dragonforce for some speed metal and shrieking vocals
Atreyu really isnt 'metal per se, but damn they are good!
Lacuna Coil is up there too... more bio-metal there
Slip Knot is always fun too...

i love the classics like led zeplin and pink floyd even pantera and slayer but i would have to say "the black dahlia murder." in concert they were amazing. i crowd surfed accross the place 5 times. i head-walked once :)

+1 to anyone who mentioned Dragon Force. Saw them in concert and it was one of the best shows of my life. Also any band that can do metal without a vocalist that sounds like cookie monster usually will get my vote.

I've been listening a lot to Kaptain Sun lately. Swedish Death 'n' roll with doom and stone influences. Great stuff.

have been gone for a bit, but felt like bragging...

I was at Wacken Open Air in Germany this year. was six-hundred sixty six kinds of awesome. 4 days of drinking and headbanging. The best sets were Testament, Volbeat and Machine Head. Runners up were Motorhead, Korpiklaani, Schandmaul and Pain.

Blue Cheer
King Crimson
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Megadeath
Slayer
Testament
Anthrax
Overkill
Metal Church
Death Angel...

Try out:
Candlemass
Sepultura
Overkill
Biohazard
Krux
Massacre
Death
Cannibal Corpse
Capital Punishment

My favorites?

Candlemass
Slayer
Pantera
Testament
Overkill
Iron Maiden
Type O Negative
King Diamond
Motorhead
Megadeath
King Crimson
Anthrax

You have some great taste in music! That pretty much sums it up!
My favorites are Slayer, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Pantera, Sepultura, and Biohazard! And of course some Testament!:rockin::rockin:

There are way too many categories and sub-genres, and I won't pretend to know where every band fits. I'm a hobby musician myself, and like any music made by people that know what they're doing, and some by people that don't.

I'm really glad to see a lot of people mention Opeth, they're one of my favorites. I really dig the prog influenced stuff like that. I gotta give props to my Brother's bands Nothingface and Hellyeah. He really is very talented. I like Trivium a lot, and those kids are the most focused musicians I've ever met. There are so many other greats out there, the ones that spring to mind are:
Pantera (of course)
Mudvayne (another fav, of course)
Fantomas (anything with Mike Patton really)
Mastodon
Candiria
Ill Nino
Meshugga
Killswitch Engage
In Flames
Dimmu Borgir
... the list goes on and on...

[edit] Btw, I believe the term "Heavy Metal" originated from a Steppenwolf song, so I vote that the "heavy" bands of their era are relevant in this discussion. Especially if we're talking all time. So... Zeppelin FTW!

watch

I read metallica not allowed....

And thought, what bias!! Then I remembered the following. Balls for the one who finishes this masterpiece (Metallica not withstanding)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Wd-Q3F8KM]YouTube - The Count Censored[/ame]

The point being that you can't say "Hey who plays the bestest classical musical!!!?" but you omit for Mozart, Beethoven, or Tchaicovszki!?!?!"

Metallica is clearly metal, has made several inroads that make it fun for everyone, and should get representation. End of story. Stop ignoring the popurlar choice out of hand.

I want to punch RICLARK in the face for remiding me about Nailbomb! Thanks man.

The answer to the OP is SLAYER, let's not argue semantics.

Back