best kit for Igloo 400 series cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewfreeordie

Reaction score
Ok, I'm sorry if this post has been done to death but I've been searching for a few days and can't find "the" answer. I'm a pretty cheap sob, but still want 100% stainless (pimpin' my ride I guess) so I decided to put them together myself rather than order them already done. I bought 2 10 gallon Igloo beverage coolers and have the intent of making the proverbeal HLT/MLT kit. I'd like to do the false bottom w/ ball valve on one and a straight bulkhead/ballvalve on the other. I have dreams of a gravity setup, but who knows.

1.) Do I want a 10" or 12" false bottom? I've heard its real hard to get the 12" out of the cooler and you end up scratching the cooler a lot. I've seen 11" kits but in the notes I'm not sure if its a typo or what.

2.) Are all bulkhead kits the same?

If you have them custom cut you can make them to fit perfect! You can have the false bottom sitting above the drain on a stainless stand so no need for a diptube or all the hoses you have to deal with when installing the domed ones. Add a handle so its easy to remove and your well on your way...
Cheers
Jay

Back