BEST false bottom...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndMan3030

Reaction score
I have been brewing with a "Pico Style" False bottom...

I have been relatively happy with it. I like the fact that it supports the false bottom above the bulkhead/dip tube assembly. My efficiency can be inconsistent at times, I am wondering what other false bottoms people SWEAR by. I do like to direct fire and recirculate, is scorching an issue for other false bottoms? This was a big selling point for me when I bought the Pico Style, theirs has a lot of dead space below the false bottom to help prevent scorching.

I'd be willing to make a change if I can be convinced to make the switch! I don't like all the dead space if its not necessary!

Thank you for your feedback everyone!

I use the pico style with the supports cut down to lessen the dead space. I was not happy with how much deadspace it had stock especially doing a 5 gal batch. I used a Jaybird style for a while but went back to the pico after the support modification. I have a HERMS system so scorching is not an issue.

I use a bazooka style, and prefer it strongly to others ive used. I use a cooler and a decoction setup though. The main selling point for me, is compared to others, I can stir down to the bottom, vigourously, with no worries of dislodging the false bottom and it all going to hell.

It pains me to say it, but the Blichmann is best I've every used. Coughing up the dough for a Boilermaker really sucks, but with HERMS, can't afford a stuck mash and that's what I was getting with various other designs with any high protein grists.

I have been brewing with a "Pico Style" False bottom...

I have been relatively happy with it. I like the fact that it supports the false bottom above the bulkhead/dip tube assembly. My efficiency can be inconsistent at times, I am wondering what other false bottoms people SWEAR by. I do like to direct fire and recirculate, is scorching an issue for other false bottoms? This was a big selling point for me when I bought the Pico Style, theirs has a lot of dead space below the false bottom to help prevent scorching.

I'd be willing to make a change if I can be convinced to make the switch! I don't like all the dead space if its not necessary!

Thank you for your feedback everyone!

If your efficiency is varying you need to look at the quality of the grain crush since that is the single most often cause. If you aren't milling your own, then you aren't controlling the crush and will have varying efficiency depending on who set the mill gap.

If your efficiency is varying you need to look at the quality of the grain crush since that is the single most often cause. If you aren't milling your own, then you aren't controlling the crush and will have varying efficiency depending on who set the mill gap.

I agree.

I feel this can also be related to the amount of dead space. The mash thickness will vary greatly for different size grain bills. This is primarily a concern on 5 gal batches, if you are mainly doing 10 gal batches i don't think this would be an issue

butt-bottom-foam-large-721773600975.png

That is the most likely cause, but it can also be caused by channeling in the mash as well.

I had a PICO and didnt like it. Granted I wasnt using a pick up tube, so I left a lot of wort behind and my effic sucked. Did a lot of changes at that time and moved to a domed steel false bottom with a center pick up tube. Never had an issue and does me awesome. Even forgot to add hulls on my last wheat (50/50) and didnt have an issue sparging. I say if it works for you though, keep on keeping on.

It pains me to say it, but the Blichmann is best I've every used. Coughing up the dough for a Boilermaker really sucks, but with HERMS, can't afford a stuck mash and that's what I was getting with various other designs with any high protein grists.

I haven't used it, but i really like the design. In general, I'd say slotted FBs are a far better design, less prone to stuck mashes, than round hole perf FBs. I regularly had problems until I went to a slotted manifold. After that I never had an issue, even with high levels of wheat and cereal grains.

EDIT: That PICO FB seems to have a wacky amount of deadspace. I think the actual design is solid, though.

I do mill my own grains, I am fairly certain this is not the issue.

I use the old dome style false bottom and there is not much deadspace with it and my efficiency is solid.
I also have yet to get a stuck sparge using it and I recirc in my HERMS setup no problem. I have one in my e-brewery SS el cheapo 15 gal SS MT and I used to use one in my 10gal igloo MT prior. Love them and they are dirt cheap.
I crush my grains a little finer than most but still, zero stuck sparges.

Is it the best? Prob not, but for the money, I would not trade it for anything else.

Back