Best Dry Yeast for Belgian Dubbel ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the M31 Belgian Tripel yeast from Mangrove Jack's. However, the manufacturer claims that their yeasts are not suitable for repitch. This may or may not be BS in order to sell more yeast.

I went with the Wyeast 3822 (Belgian Strong Dark) but after reading about it I don't think I want the tart/acidic character that it produces. I think I will go back to store and pick up some Wyeast 3787 (Trappist High Gravity) and save the 3822 to use in a Winter Saison (dark).

the manufacturer claims that their yeasts are not suitable for repitch. This may or may not be BS in order to sell more yeast.

It's true of all dry yeast to an extent, in that they load up the yeast with enough food stores to allow them to replicate enough even if fermentation conditions aren't great in respect of oxygenation etc. So that's one reason why they can claim that it won't work as well the second time round. Obviously that's different to "not working at all" though!

The other thing is that it seems many dry yeasts are blends, and the mix will drift with each generation. MJ do seem to have a bit of a reputation for drifting quickly but even the likes of Nottingham are blends and so will have the same problem. Again you can see two sides of the argument - it has the effect of forcing brewers to buy yeast more often than they would otherwise, but they can say that it's a traditional method used by many British breweries in order to combine the best of both worlds when it comes to flocculation and attenuation.

Back