Best breweries in DC and Baltimore?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmasterob

Reaction score
Heading to Baltimore/DC in August for a little baseball trip. Driving to DC from Baltimore after catching an Orioles game to catch a Nationals game. Would like to drink some good local stuff. Any locals wanna weigh in on where to go/what to visit during said trip? Thanks buddies...

Cap City Brewing is hit and miss. Sometimes they haved realyl good beers and sometimes its so so. There is a place called the Brickskeller. It isn'ta brewery but has beers beers and more beers from all over the world including a crap load of micro's.

There is Pratt Street Ale House (formerly Wharf Rat i.e Oliver's Brewing) on Pratt street by camden yards. they make a lot of english pub ales. I like their IPA a lot.

If you haven't been there all the good beer at Nationals Park is downstairs in the Red Porch. But be warned you will wait upwards of 30 minutes to get served at the bar with the notoriously bad bartenders!

The best brewery in MD IMO is Flying Dog in Frederick. Their Raging ***** is fantastic, so is their Gonzo Porter. Clipper City (Heavy Seas) outside of Baltimore is pretty decent too. Stillwater Artisanal Ales makes some awesome beers too but they can be hard to find. He is one of those homebrewers that purchases time on local breweries equipment and uses their distribution network.

Have fun at Camden Yards, I live in the city and go watch games there all the time even though the O's are playing so terrible because it is such an awesome ballpark. They have a few microbrew stands scattered throughout the stadium so keep an eye out for them and be sure to get yourself some Flying Dogs while watching the game.

As far as places to get good beer in Baltimore: Max's Taphouse in Fells Point has the best selection (102 taps) with such beers on tap as DFH90 (and 120 on rare occasion), the whole Mikeller single hop series, tons of Belgians, along with much much more. The food at Max's, however, is just cheap bar food. If you are in Fells Point and want to eat good tavern food go to Koopers. They have a huge bottle selection and good food. Mahaffy's in Canton is my second favorite beer bar. They always have a great rotating draft selection and tons and tons of bottles. Some others are Wharf Rat in Fells Point and Pratt Street Ale house which both carry Oliver Ales which as previously stated have mostly english styles, some of which are pretty good. There is also word of a Beligian Beer Bar opening up in Hampden, although I am not sure if it is open yet.

All in all, I would say if you want to go to some good local places I would spend a minimal amount of time at the inner harbor and head over to Fells Point which is less than a mile down the harbor. Can catch a cab there from the inner harbor for about 5 bucks (or a water taxi if it is during the day)

Have fun and enjoy!

As far as places to get good beer in Baltimore: Max's Taphouse in Fells Point has the best selection (102 taps) with such beers on tap as DFH90 (and 120 on rare occasion), the whole Mikeller single hop series, tons of Belgians, along with much much more. The food at Max's, however, is just cheap bar food.

I can't endorse this statement enough! Max's is the single best beer bar I have ever been to. My wife and I go to Baltimore for the weekend and spend about 60% of our time in Max's.

Definitely, I can't tell you how many times I go there and am truly amazed at some of the things they have on tap.

Back