Best Brew Pot for 10 and 5 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Springsteenfan

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

What the best brew pot for brewing 10 and 5 gallon batches? I've read that that Blichman Boilermaker 15 gallon can't be used for 5 gallon batches because of where the thermometer is placed. Thanks.

Check out Stout Kettles. They have awesome brew pots. The thermowell is just under 5.5" from the bottom, which is about 4.3 gallons ((15.5"/2)^2*pi*5.5"/12/12/12*7.48), so you would not have to use another thermometer. That is why we pay extra for the thermowell, isn't it?

Also, the bottom is rounded making whirlpooling more effective. The bottom is similar to a keggle, which I have heard gets a little better heat transfer from the flame because the sides "trap" the heat from the burner. You can even get a tangential inlet to facilitate whirlpooling with a pump, which works good for a counterflow chiller. I do not like to use copper to move wort, because it eventually turns black and is hard to clean the inside.

The Brew Kettlw even comes with a triclover valve, which is easier to clean than Blichman's. The sight glass is also triclover, making it easier to clean also. I know the triclover is not necessary for boiling wort, but cleanliness does insure no off flavors.::mug:

Thanks for the quick reply. What thermometer would be good to use with a 15 gallon Blichman Boilermaker for 5 gallon batches?

Thanks,
Jeff

Latest posts

Back