Berliner Weisse Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJS1288

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Berliner Weisse using a three day sour mash at 110-120*F followed by a 30 minute boil. The OG was 1.031, and it's been fermenting for 2.5 weeks. Within the past 3 days it has reached its FG of 1.004. The issue I'm faced with is the unpleasant aroma of butanoic acid (vomit). Apparently my oxygen control measures weren't sufficient during the sour mash and I got a bit of this nastiness in the wort.

I was aware of this while the beer was fermenting and figured I'd let it reach FG, test again then make a decision whether or not to dump this batch. Throughout fermentation the butanoic acid was present in the aroma and flavor, but at this point the flavor is gone but the butanoic acid is still apparent in the aroma.

I'd prefer not to do a prolonged secondary with Brett to cleanup the aroma (not opposed to this, just would prefer not to have a carboy tied up for several months). So I'm wondering what options I have to improve the aroma.

-With such a low FG, could I add Brett while bottling and prime as usual?
-Could I add Brett while bottling and use XX% of the priming sugar I need for my desired volumes of CO2?
-Are there any other options I could try that don't involve using Brett?

Had the aroma and flavor both contained butanoic acid after the primary, I'd have just dumped the batch, but since the flavor improved I feel like there's a glimmer of hope for this beer yet. Thanks for any suggestions.

I did a Berliner Weisse very recently in a very similar manner. I also got a lot of butyric acid as well, but a lot was scrubbed out by the boil. There is certainly some left over, which I was planning on cleaning up with Brett in secondary.

For a beer that small, FG with Brett could go a bit lower.

The evidence that Brett can modify butyric acid to esters like ethyl butyrate is certainly an attractive option. Time (and/or Brett) should fix everything.

I racked the beer into a secondary and added WLP 644 Bret Brux Trois about a week ago. I'll give it some time and see what happens. Any insight on how long it may take for me to see changes in aroma with a beer this small and an already low gravity (1.004)?

Back