Berliner souring help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjr24

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I’m not sure if this is the right area to post this in but. I’m doing a Berliner for the first time and was told to use Greek yogurt to sour with. I was advised to us 2 tsp to sour with. As I look around everyone seems to be making a starter first, and then pitching that. Would I be able to use just Greek yogurt without the starter.

You should make the starter to assure that the souring organisms that you develop are pleasant. Make sure the starter is well sealed so that air can't get into it. Bad bugs need oxygen, our good bugs don't need oxygen.

PS: I have used a handful of raw malt in my Berliner starters with great success. That method also requires that your starter be well sealed. It might smell a little funky while its growing, but it should settle down to a pleasant sourness with time.

Omega yeast has a great lacto blend.... Mash, strain, cool, pitch into the kettle, let sit for about 36 to 48 hours, finish the boil and ferment as usual.
Ph drops to around 3.0 rapidly. Clean sour taste..
Love the omega..

Thanks guys it eventually made its way down to about where I wanted it took maybe 15 hours

Back