Bacteria math

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeirKaiser

Reaction score
Can someone help me out please, I’m trying to do some math. I know most yeast packets say “contains 100 billion yeast cells” but how much bacteria is in this. I can’t figure out what it says. I plan on doing a sour and wanted to compare the numbers to other options.

I’m trying to do the math of how much Greek yogurt to use that would be equivalent
1682642853678.png

Are you trying to compare souring beer with the wyeast blend and with yogurt? Or perhaps you want to use extra wyeast culture to make yogurt? Something else?

That package does NOT tell you how many cells. You'll need a microscope and a cell counter to determine that.
I find it hard to believe that wyeast or white labs are that inconsistent that each packet would need to be counted

Are you trying to compare souring beer with the wyeast blend and with yogurt? Or perhaps you want to use extra wyeast culture to make yogurt? Something else?
I want to make a sour beer with Greek yogurt like some breweries I know but I want the same amount equivalent to 5 gallons.

I find it hard to believe that wyeast or white labs are that inconsistent that each packet would need to be counted
Sorry, I wasn't clear, and you're right. They are not inconsistent. But on yeast, they say right on the pouch the cell count, and on the bacteria it appears they don't. So you need to count for that reason.

Yeah but if it’s the same amount every time, someone one would know. Maybe I’ll just contact the companies
Sorry, I wasn't clear, and you're right. They are not inconsistent. But on yeast, they say right on the pouch the cell count, and on the bacteria it appears they don't. So you need to count for that reason

Sorry, I wasn't clear, and you're right. They are not inconsistent. But on yeast, they say right on the pouch the cell count, and on the bacteria it appears they don't. So you need to count for that reason.

Contacted white labs, they said it varies lot to lot

Back