Belgian Tripel Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8 oz (dextrose) is a bottle buster for long necks. 3.5 oz (dextrose) will generate about 2.0 volumes of CO2. For a triple bottled in standard bottles you're after 2.8 -2.9 volumes CO2 based on the style. That's about 5.7 oz of dextrose or 7.6 oz DME.

(this all assumes 5 gallon volume)

8 oz is a bottle buster for long necks. 3.5 oz will generate 2.0 volumes of CO2. For a triple bottled in standard bottles you're after 2.8 -2.9 volumes CO2 based on the style. That's about 5.7 oz of dextrose or 7.6 oz DME.

Oh Jesus... what have I done? *facepalm* Oh well... lets see how this goes.

Oh Jesus... what have I done? *facepalm* Oh well... lets see how this goes.

The yeast may teeter out on the lucky side :) Covering them for at least the first 3 months with a drip-pan underneath couldn't hurt (just in case). It's possible to slow most bottle fermentation down and reduce pressure by chilling them down < 50F.

For those debating on making this or just perusing this thread...stop now and make it. It turns out wonderful...and more so as it ages. I brewed 1st batch of this last March and gradually let it age while pulling a bottle here and there.

Down to my last two bottles and am getting this on deck soon as a Christmas gift to family. Great stuff and thanks for the recipe!!

Bottled this last night, and man, my hydro sample tasted great. Nice and spicy, with a tiny bit of clove flavor, this is going to be a great beer. For the record, I fermented at 66, and slowly raised to 70 over a week based on the comments in Brewing classic styles.
With the all-grain recipe, I ended up with an OG of 1.070, and a FG of 1.006. Hitting about 8.1%, before a little priming boost! Looking forward to sharing this with the family on Christmas, many of which love belgian style beer. Thanks for the recipe and all the tips I read before brewing!

I started this recipe with all grain and hit an SG of 1.085. After several weeks and great fermentation I did a sample last night and it is at 1.016. I suspect it is done but will wait another week before I bottle. The taste, although a very nice Belgian seems quite sweet. I'm sure the carbonation and age will bring this big beer all together but is this beer on the sweet side? I had it on tap only once and I really can't remember.

Thinking about doing this and sticking it in an oak barrel for secondary. Are you guys using the AG recipe on page 7? I got as far as page 9 and decided to skip the next 50+ pages. What temp are you mashing at for single infusion? Thx.

Thinking about doing this and sticking it in an oak barrel for secondary. Are you guys using the AG recipe on page 7? I got as far as page 9 and decided to skip the next 50+ pages. What temp are you mashing at for single infusion? Thx.

I put a few gallons on medium oak chips. It took a few months for the flavors to blend and then it was amazing. I plan to do all 5 gallons on oak next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am in the same boat in not wanting to read 50+ pages. I was wondering if I should bother doing the protein rest or not.

You need to research the specific Pilsner malt you are using. If it's highly modified than protein rest is not necessary. In this thread there's mention of it on a post around 1/14/2011

I brewed this on Sunday, followed the AG recipe on page 7. Brew day was smooth until I got a stuck sparge (damn false bottom never again!). After, removing everything into buckets, etc., surprisingly I finished at 1.086 with only 4 gallons, oh well. Tasted the wort and man it's sweet but tastey. Anyways, I did a step mash at 145, then to 150 for 60min then sparged at 168-170. For all you igloo users like me, there's a step mash calculator online. Honestly though, you can probably mash at 150 for the entire time and won't notice any major difference. Yeast is going crazy a day later. I'm planning on transferring into a bourbon barrel for secondary so we'll see. Will repost when that time comes. Can't wait because it'll be perfect timing for a big xmas beer.

I brewed this on Sunday, followed the AG recipe on page 7. Brew day was smooth until I got a stuck sparge (damn false bottom never again!). After, removing everything into buckets, etc., surprisingly I finished at 1.086 with only 4 gallons, oh well. Tasted the wort and man it's sweet but tastey. Anyways, I did a step mash at 145, then to 150 for 60min then sparged at 168-170. For all you igloo users like me, there's a step mash calculator online. Honestly though, you can probably mash at 150 for the entire time and won't notice any major difference. Yeast is going crazy a day later. I'm planning on transferring into a bourbon barrel for secondary so we'll see. Will repost when that time comes. Can't wait because it'll be perfect timing for a big xmas beer.

Awesome!! Good luck! This beer is ready fast, thats one good thing about it!

You need to research the specific Pilsner malt you are using. If it's highly modified than protein rest is not necessary. In this thread there's mention of it on a post around 1/14/2011

Thanks. I read that post and looked up my plisner (Castle). Seems I will skip the protein rest. Castle appears to be highly modified from what I have read.

Are the extract brewers still using the original recipe? Has it been modified in the last 50 pages? Which hops did you use, the original or the one a few posts down?

Thanks! :mug:

Cold Crashing this now but took a sample beforehand yesterday. Very tasty and almost a faint fruit like flavor in there. Very excited to bottle this in the next day or so! :rockin:

Brewed this about 3 weeks ago, asked about using Safbrew's T58 dried yeast then. Cracked open a bottle yesterday (realising it would be very undercarbonated but I wanted to try it) and it was so tasty. Slight banana notes, very light, tasted like a Belgian beer to me so that's all good!
Obviously needs longer to carbonate but I'm hoping this'll only get better, and in time for Christmas too. Quite excited!
Thanks for the help guys, and for this recipe in general. Anyone thinking about this, get on it. I'm a pretty novice brewer and this worked a treat for me.

I opened a bottle of this last night and was floored. It has a super banana aroma, almost of banana bread. Very sweet, semi heavy. I took a taste w/o the yeast in the glass... tasted alittle "young", but has a very noticeable banana note on the pallet, too. Then I knocked the yeast loose in the bottle and added it to the glass.

This drink was now perfect. The yeast added a noticeable "spicey" character, and cleaned up the "youngness". Again, very prominent banana nose, slight spice. The taste is a very nice mild spiciness with a very noticeable banana flavor that hits you on the back of the tongue.

I did the extract version, and followed it as closely as I could. I used all DME, dark candi sugar, and US Hallertau. This is awesome, and even had a non-beer drinker guzzle a glass. I'd call this a success!

Brewed the extract recipe exactly as originally posted, except my LHS only had 1 lb of dark sugar so I added a 1/2lb of light candi sugar. It is day 6 and the sample I took today already reads 1.012! :ban:

Some things to consider: I only used 1 vial of WLP500 (trappist ale yeast) with no starter, but I did add yeast nutrient. I started fermentation at 65 and increased to 70 over the first 4 days. Then I added the remaining 1lb of candi sugar and increased the temp to 75 to help the yeast finish. There is a still minimal activity right now (about 4-5 bubbles a minute), so this might get down to 1.010 with only 1 vial of yeast and no starter. So. . . no need to spend the extra money on two vials of yeast. Just pitch low and increase temps and add some of the candi sugar later on in primary to avoid a stuck fermentation.

I am very excited about this batch. Has a sweet banana, bubble gum flavor to it that is quite delicious. Gonna let it sit another week or so then rack to secondary for a 10 days before bottling to age.

Brewed this for the second time as mistakes were made first time around . The mistake was worth it because it is amazing this time round. I made a 3 litre starter with one vial of trappist wlp 565 that is all I could get but it worked a treat.

565 is a saison strain, not Trappist, are you sure that's what you used? I've debating making a tripel with a saison strain, but have shy'd away due to not wanting the typical saison funk.

Sorry just checked the homebrew store purchase. It was 545 i used. Sure try it and see. &#128513;

Sorry just checked the homebrew store purchase. It was 545 i used. Sure try it and see. &#128513;

I'm new to brewing beer (previously made wine and meads), but would like to try this recipe. Hoping to get someone can clarify this for me or point me in the right direction. Am I understand this correctly?

Extract:
3 x 3.3lbs Pilsner Light malt extract LME
1 x 1lbs Amber DME
1 x 1.5lbs Belgian Candy
12.4 total pounds of fermentables

Hops: (IBU came out at 23 but you can range from 20 to 25)
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

1. Boil 3 gallons of water (no grains to steep)
2. Remove from stove and add the malt extracts (pilsner LME, amber DME) and Belgian Candy. Stir and dissolve.
3. Put back on stove and resume boil. Continue stirring.
4. Once boiling resumes, start adding Hops. First add German Hallertau, then 30 mins later add Styrian Goldings, then 27 mins later add Saaz, then 3 minutes later take off stove.
5. Put in primary, cool to 80 degrees (add 3 gallons of cold water), to bring to total volume of 6 gallons.
6. Once at ~80 degrees pitch yeast (starter).

I'm new to brewing beer (previously made wine and meads), but would like to try this recipe. Hoping to get someone can clarify this for me or point me in the right direction. Am I understand this correctly?

Extract:
3 x 3.3lbs Pilsner Light malt extract LME
1 x 1lbs Amber DME
1 x 1.5lbs Belgian Candy
12.4 total pounds of fermentables

Hops: (IBU came out at 23 but you can range from 20 to 25)
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

1. Boil 3 gallons of water (no grains to steep)
2. Remove from stove and add the malt extracts (pilsner LME, amber DME) and Belgian Candy. Stir and dissolve.
3. Put back on stove and resume boil. Continue stirring.
4. Once boiling resumes, start adding Hops. First add German Hallertau, then 30 mins later add Styrian Goldings, then 27 mins later add Saaz, then 3 minutes later take off stove.
5. Put in primary, cool to 80 degrees (add 3 gallons of cold water), to bring to total volume of 6 gallons.
6. Once at ~80 degrees pitch yeast (starter).

I'm new also but after reading this entire post, my only two notes to you would be...
1. Use the update hops amounts a few posts down from the original post.
2. Add the candy with ten minutes left.

I'm new also but after reading this entire post, my only two notes to you would be...
1. Use the update hops amounts a few posts down from the original post.
2. Add the candy with ten minutes left.

I can't seem to edit the post....

Thats a good note on the Belgian candy, I originally wrote this to be a expert type recipe and not in layman's terms/Beginner. Either way, I'm all for making edits...

The note on the Hops bellow the first post, that was an "All Grain" recipe that I had and I quickly posted it... It's a little different on the hops bill, but I would stick with the main hop suggestion. Alot of this is to your discretion though. If you like hoppy beer, then put more, if not, put less... I think thats the essence of most of us beer makers out there :) I love to experiment and try new things!

I'm happy that everyone loves the recipe! It's been roughly 6-7 years since i first posted this, and probably another three years of me holding on the recipe before I shared it. I'm an Engineer for my profession and love tinkering with things and understanding why something is what it is. It's that "how can I make this better" attitude that you have to have :)

There isn't a "one way to make this recipe" Take the first post as an "rough draft" and adjust accordingly :) But if you follow it, you will still have an amazing beer. The yeast is what's giving it's love :ban: the grain bill just helps accentuate the yeast, with an combination of the hops. Magic!

I have recently turned my love of "tinkering" towards wine :) I hope one day to have an Winery/Vinyard and possibly brewery... But that's just a dream down the road :)

Need to get off my arse and order more supplies to make this again. Down to my last few. Almost don't want to drink them. Thanks again hurric4ne

I can't seem to edit the post....

Thats a good note on the Belgian candy, I originally wrote this to be a expert type recipe and not in layman's terms/Beginner. Either way, I'm all for making edits...

The note on the Hops bellow the first post, that was an "All Grain" recipe that I had and I quickly posted it... It's a little different on the hops bill, but I would stick with the main hop suggestion. Alot of this is to your discretion though. If you like hoppy beer, then put more, if not, put less... I think thats the essence of most of us beer makers out there :) I love to experiment and try new things!

I'm happy that everyone loves the recipe! It's been roughly 6-7 years since i first posted this, and probably another three years of me holding on the recipe before I shared it. I'm an Engineer for my profession and love tinkering with things and understanding why something is what it is. It's that "how can I make this better" attitude that you have to have :)

There isn't a "one way to make this recipe" Take the first post as an "rough draft" and adjust accordingly :) But if you follow it, you will still have an amazing beer. The yeast is what's giving it's love :ban: the grain bill just helps accentuate the yeast, with an combination of the hops. Magic!

I have recently turned my love of "tinkering" towards wine :) I hope one day to have an Winery/Vinyard and possibly brewery... But that's just a dream down the road :)

Thanks for the help and the recipe!

I brewed last friday and had an OG of 1.081 and checked it last night and it's already down to 1.024. Looks like I'm on my way to a nice Trippel!

Any thoughts on using WY3463, Forbidden Fruit? I just made a Wit that's fermenting and was thinking of using part of that cake for this Tripel.

Thanks for the help and the recipe!

I brewed last friday and had an OG of 1.081 and checked it last night and it's already down to 1.024. Looks like I'm on my way to a nice Trippel!

I'm still at 1.024, any suggestions on what to do?

By no means an expert but hope I can help. Don't panic anyway. Fermentation always slows down after the first while.Try getting the temperature up a degree or two.

Started this recipe last Saturday night 1/10 with bubbles through blow tube by morning. Later Sunday afternoon I had krausen exploding out my blow tube. Airlock slowed down and stopped today. Temperature in my basement had fallen to 62-64 today and temp strip on bucket read 65. Moved it back upstairs to where it is 70-72. Will check gravity this Saturday !

Was initially going to do a secondary, but it appears a lot of people on here don't think they're necessary.

Started this recipe last Saturday night 1/10 with bubbles through blow tube by morning. Later Sunday afternoon I had krausen exploding out my blow tube. Airlock slowed down and stopped today. Temperature in my basement had fallen to 62-64 today and temp strip on bucket read 65. Moved it back upstairs to where it is 70-72. Will check gravity this Saturday !

Was initially going to do a secondary, but it appears a lot of people on here don't think they're necessary.

Got temperature to 73 on on day 4.

Day 6: SG 1.021 today. 8.4% abv !
Smells and taste great- just like a Belgian tripel.

Did yours ever go below 1.021?

Still waiting ! Started the brew on 1/10.
Day 6: SG 1.021
Day 9: SG 1.020

The thing is I did not "De-gas" the sample on Day 6. When I originally measured SG on day 9 it read 1.023... then I looked at it again 5 mins later and it had increased to 1.028. I then shook the sample vigorously over a period of a couple hours until it quit fizzing and it finally settled at 1.020.

I am hoping comes down a little more. Tastes a little sweet, although could be worse. I am trying not to measure it again until the 4 week mark. I haven't had bubbles in airlock since day 3 though. Its sitting at 70-72 degrees now.

Did you get yours down?

Still waiting ! Started the brew on 1/10.
Day 6: SG 1.021
Day 9: SG 1.020

The thing is I did not "De-gas" the sample on Day 6. When I originally measured SG on day 9 it read 1.023... then I looked at it again 5 mins later and it had increased to 1.028. I then shook the sample vigorously over a period of a couple hours until it quit fizzing and it finally settled at 1.020.

I am hoping comes down a little more. Tastes a little sweet, although could be worse. I am trying not to measure it again until the 4 week mark. I haven't had bubbles in airlock since day 3 though. Its sitting at 70-72 degrees now.

Did you get yours down?

I started mine on Jan 2nd at 1.081
Day 8 I was at 1.024
Day 14 I was at 1.021
And I haven't checked since.

I've heard that on these bigger beers, it'll go fast in the beginning but then the last little bit can take a lot longer. I'm trying to do the same as you and wait until week 4 to check again, hoping to see it around 1.016ish.

We did this beer last year and found that it needed a little extra push to get all that sugar used up. A pre starter on your yeast is the trick to get all that goodness chewed up. One year later we drink it and think it's one of the best beer's so far. Good luck.

Sounds like stuck fermentation... Sometimes a re rack will get it going again, I like to add some yeast energizer and nutrient to kick it back off. What ever happen for you?

Whats everyone aiming for for an OG here? Original recipe says 1.085 but page 7 says 1.096. I'm thinking 1.085.

Whats everyone aiming for for an OG here? Original recipe says 1.085 but page 7 says 1.096. I'm thinking 1.085.

The original recipe is for the 8.5% version of the recipe. Dragonmead now makes it at 10% which is the update recipe.

The original recipe is for the 8.5% version of the recipe. Dragonmead now makes it at 10% which is the update recipe.

I would imagine that going at 1.085 is gonna get me close to ten percent. This would be finishing at 1.010 which seems reasonable for a tripel. If i wanted an 8.5%, I would think i'd be in the 70s somewhere for an OG.

Latest posts

Back