Belgian recipe recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfish

Reaction score
I would like to make a few different, maybe four, Belgian beers for party in June.

What would be you top 2 picks and do you have a link to the recipe?

TIA,
sfish

My choice would be:
  • Wheat
  • Tripel
  • Belgian IPA
  • Sour / Quadrupel / Strong / Pilsner / Saison / Experimental / Whatever I'd feel like

Belgium is unofficially known as the Disneyland of Beer. I read someone naming it that way, and it struck and stuck.

IslandLizard's prize winning Double Decocted Belgian Witbier:

Inspired by Hoegaarden Wit

With this beer I won the 2014 Maryland "Free State Homebrew Guild's" Wheat Beer Competition on June 7.
The judges' notes mentioned "delicious", "big flavor for style", "load of orange", "aggressive with spices". Score: 39.
So if you want more subtlety, you can cut down a bit on the coriander and orange peel.

My (Belgian) IPA:

Inspired by Flying Dog's Raging *****.

[Have to look up my recipe, will be added later.]

If you're feeling creative, perhaps a Belgian stout? I just made one and it is my best brewed beer yet.

If you're feeling creative, perhaps a Belgian stout? I just made one and it is my best brewed beer yet.

What do you do, just add candi sugar to a stout recipe?

The key for my Belgian Stout was using the Wyeast Belgian Stout yeast. My local HBS had some so i went for it and it turned out great. I also added a pack of Safale-04 to help kickstart the Belgian Stout yeast since it was a little old. The thing took off like crazy and now i have a 8%ABV delicious chocolate oat Belgian stout!

The Recipe is here:
4 Gal. Batch

8Lb Maris Otter
2Lb Light Extract(at beginning of boil to help with efficiency)
1Lb Oats
10oz Chocolate
8oz Roasted Barley
8oz Crystal 80

1oz Mount Hood @ 60 Min.

Tastes like it sounds: chocolaty goodness of a stout with a mix between bitter and sweet from the Belgian Yeast. Very Smooth, very good

The key for my Belgian Stout was using the Wyeast Belgian Stout yeast.

This does look good. I scratched my head, then looked at Wyeasts web site: Belgian Stout?

Is this the yeast you used; copied from the Wyeast site

YEAST STRAIN: 1762 | Belgian Abbey II™

An excellent yeast strain for use in Belgian dark strong ales. This strain has a relatively “clean profile” which allows a rich malt and distinctive ethanol character to shine. Delicate dried fruit esters can be produced when used at higher fermentation temperatures or in a high gravity wort.

Origin:
Flocculation: medium
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 65-75° F (18-24° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 12% ABV

Styles:
American Barleywine
Belgian Blond Ale
Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Belgian Specialty Ale
Bière de Garde
Russian Imperial Stout
Strong Scotch Ale

Wyeast 1581-PC Belgian Stout Yeast

https://www.wyeastlab.com/PC1Q2012.cfm

Apparently the Yeast strain was seriously old. It says on the website It was made available from January-March 2012! Hence maybe why it didn't take off too well and the safale-04 really helped kick start it!

from the website:

Wyeast 1581-PC Belgian Stout Yeast

Beer Styles: Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Specialty Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Triple and Quad, Belgian Strong Golden and Dark Ales, Belgian Blonde Ale, Saison
Profile: A very versatile ale strain from Belgium. Excellent for Belgian stout and Belgian Specialty ales. Ferments to dryness and produces moderate levels of esters without significant phenolic or spicy characteristics.
Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation Medium
Attenuation 70-85%
Temp. Range 65-75°F (18-24°C)

I'm sure using another Belgian Strain with similar qualities could make a similar outcome to my beer, i just haven't used another strain of Belgian yeast before this beer...i went in big for a first Belgian having it be a stout. If you have more experience with Belgians im assuming you probably know which yeast would match the above characteristics the best!

Actually, I found a more updated version here:

https://www.wyeastlab.com/3rdqtrPC.cfm

Wyeast 1581-PC Belgian Stout

Beer Styles: Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Specialty Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Triple and Quad, Belgian Strong Golden and Dark Ales, Belgian Blonde Ale, Saison
Profile: A very versatile ale strain from Belgium. Excellent for Belgian stout and Belgian Specialty ales. Ferments to dryness and produces moderate levels of esters without significant phenolic or spicy characteristics.

Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation medium
Attenuation 70-85%
Temp. Range 65-75°F (18-24°C)

I've been drinking the blonde from brewing classic styles and it's just now really starting to meld together well. The recipe says it's 7abv, but mine ended up at 8.5. Brewed it about 3 months ago. It's really good now.

This dubbel won me a BoS in a local competion:

10 # Pils malt
1/4 # flaked barley
3/4 # caramunich

Mashed at 154 for 60 minutes

1 # D90 candi sugar end of boil

.55 oz. Warrior hops 60 minutes (~13%AA)
.15 oz. styrian goldings for 30 minutes
.35 oz. styrian goldings for 15 minutes

Ferment with Wyeast 3787/WLP530 from a starter.

Ferment to completion at 68 degrees, lager (or just rest in a secondary) 20 days, then bottle condition to 2.7 volumes at least 60 days before serving. The bottle conditioning is really important with this one, and DON'T serve it ice cold.

O.G. should be about 1.075; adjust your basemalt for system efficiency (mine is about 80%).

I love a saison that follows the following basic scheme:

3/4 pound caramunich (56L)
1 pound flaked wheat
8 pounds pils malt, adjust to reach 1.052

Mashed at 151.

A bittering hop for 60 minutes (see below)
.5 oz. any noble type hop for 30
.5 oz. same noble hop for 15
.5 oz. sorachi ace for 15

Adjust the bittering addition to reach a total of 25-30 IBUs.

Ferment with Wyeast 3711 aroudn 69 degrees. Well carbonated, but you could do that to taste and get something nice.

You can play around with the above scheme a fair amount as long as you 3711 ferment it and don't go too hot (phenolic overload). A little of the begian cara/crystal malts is good and the wheat adds a little mouthfeel and spicy/grainy malt character. Sorachi accents the citrus that is natural in 3711. Next time I try this recipe, I'm adding 4oz. acidulated malt to make it just a touch tart.

I would definitely do a Tripel, then a Dubbel. Probably a Belgian Wit.

I usually would recommend a BDSA but since the party is in June that may be a little heavy for warmer weather.

Maybe throw in a Saison.

Lots of good recipes in the recipe database here.

Or there are some good ones. here...

http://www.candisyrup.com/recipes.html

I 2nd using CSI's recipe data base. I just brewed up the Abt 12 clone and can't wait to drink it.

My recipe Belgiam Stout.

Looking for suggestions to modify.
Making 6 Gal., Partial mash using/ extract

2 lbs Belgian Pale malt
14 oz Belgian Special B
1.5 Lbs Belgian Black Roast
7 oz Belgian Aromatic
12 oz Belgian Caramunich
7 oz Belgian Biscuit
3.3 lbs Maris Otter LME
.75 lbs DME Light
1.0 lbs Candi Sugar Dark
1.5 lbs Oats Flaked

1.5 oz Styrian Goldings (Pellets, 6 %AA) boiled 50 min.
0.50 oz Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 15 min.
0.50 oz Sazz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 5 min.

Yeast : Wyeast 1581-PC Belgian Stout Yeast

O.G 1.054
F.G 1.012
Alcohol 5.7%
39.8 SRM
29.5 IBU

My recipe Belgiam Stout.

Looking for suggestions to modify.

8 oz Belgian Special B
24 oz Belgian Chocolate Malt
6 oz Belgian Aromatic
6 oz Belgian Caramunich
3.3 lbs Maris Otter LME
1 lbs DME Light
1.0 lbs Candi Sugar Dark
.5 lbs Lactose
1.0 lbs Oats Raw
1.25 oz Styrian Goldings (Pellets, 6 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.50 oz Fuggle (Pellets, 4.75 %AA) boiled 20 min.
0.50 oz Fuggle (Pellets, 4.75 %AA) boiled 5 min.
Yeast : Wyeast 1581-PC Belgian Stout Yeast
O.G 1.059
F.G 1.014
Alcohol 5.9%
36 SRM
34 IBU

I would not use lactose and maybe add more to the grain bill(maybe .5lb rice hulls for more mouth feel). I realize it's only .5lb but will that much lactose add anything to the beer? Other then that to me it looks solid. Definitely give me and update!

scob18,

Hey good brew! drank the stout and was impressed. Good smoothness, the background belgium charater was there. I had nice chocolate notes in the aftertast.

IPA I enjoyed this for not being a fan of IPA and did not share the other bottle. The way you showcased the hops was impressive. I desided I need to try more IPA. Was it cascade hops?

Harvested the yeast and made a 1 pint starter (shake when I walk be method) on Sunday, 24 hour no real activity then it took off have a good growth going now. I will crash tonight and make a 2 quart starter. Plan on brewing this Sunday. Would you like some?

Thank you,

scob18,

Hey good brew! drank the stout and was impressed. Good smoothness, the background belgium charater was there. I had nice chocolate notes in the aftertast.

IPA I enjoyed this for not being a fan of IPA and did not share the other bottle. The way you showcased the hops was impressive. I desided I need to try more IPA. Was it cascade hops?

Harvested the yeast and made a 1 pint starter (shake when I walk be method) on Sunday, 24 hour no real activity then it took off have a good growth going now. I will crash tonight and make a 2 quart starter. Plan on brewing this Sunday. Would you like some?

Thank you,

I'm glad it's held up so well. And hell yes i'd like to try yours, i loved that beer and would love to try a side by side of it with my last bottle of my Belgian Stout. Glad to hear the yeast is still doing well, its damn good stuff forsure. I truly think it was maybe the best beer i've made so far.

The IPA was my homage to Odells IPA, only i made it a IIPA with Oak Chips. The Hops were Chinook(which is used in that IPA) and Citra.

Hope the Belgians are going well!

Belgians a little behind schedule. I have in secondary Chimay Red. making the stout this Sunday a double batch one with the Wyeast 1581-PC Belgian Stout and the other with the cake from the Chimay red White labs WLP500 Monastery Ale.

On deck is A Saison Dupont clone and last will be a Belgium wheat.

PS: : ☼ I have the Raging Red Irish red Ale bottled for back up. From Mysticmead
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=239188

Belgians a little behind schedule. I have in secondary Chimay Red. making the stout this Sunday a double batch one with the Wyeast 1581-PC Belgian Stout and the other with the cake from the Chimay red White labs WLP500 Monastery Ale.

On deck is A Saison Dupont clone and last will be a Belgium wheat.

PS: : ☼ I have the Raging Red Irish red Ale bottled for back up. From Mysticmead
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=239188

No rush man, I'll take whatever you send. The Red looks great, i might have to brew that soon....

Update: brewed the stout, a single batch, yesterday using the 1581 only. Stepped the starter up to 1 quart not the 2 as stated. Pitched at 63 deg., 9 hours later bubbles every count of 3. Looking good.

Racked to secondary and saved the yeast, Wyeast 1581-PC. There seems to be a great amount of trud & yeast with this. Did you notice the same thing?

Racked to secondary and saved the yeast, Wyeast 1581-PC. There seems to be a great amount of trud & yeast with this. Did you notice the same thing?

yes, the cake was enormous and had a thick layer of trud, i think its due to its efficiency.

yes, the cake was enormous and had a thick layer of trud, i think its due to its efficiency.

I was amazed at the amount. The information on Wyeast site says this attenuates to 85%. I think I am getting every bit of that out of these little babies. I have not taken a reading because it is still bubbling. This is just a new experience for me really looking forward to drinking this. Next on board is be a saison, plan on using White labs WLP500, I will add this 1581 to the secondary to help finish it out. Oh wish I had more time.

I was amazed at the amount. The information on Wyeast site says this attenuates to 85%. I think I am getting every bit of that out of these little babies. I have not taken a reading because it is still bubbling. This is just a new experience for me really looking forward to drinking this. Next on board is be a saison, plan on using White labs WLP500, I will add this 1581 to the secondary to help finish it out. Oh wish I had more time.

I remember my stout attenuated very well. I think predictions were 1.089-1.021 and it actually ended up being like 1.018 and near 9% instead of around the 8.5 range. its a great yeast strain. As for your idea with a saison, i think that's a great idea! that would make a very crisp beer!

scob18,

Update bottled the stout and will bottle the chimay red tomorrow. Never found time to brew the wheat or saison.

I will send you a package next weekish, this will include a bottle of the 1581 yeast from the cake. I would guess this is second generation yeast and we could make a few more batches

Thank you and enjoy,
sfish

Looks great, I can't wait to harvest and use the second generation yeast. I still have one bottle of the first one i might do a taste test with. Will let you know what i find!

Oh and thanks for the beer!

Sending you 3 beers and the yeast. shipping next Monday. Sorry for the delay went on holiday.

White top:
“Raging Red Irish Red Ale”
Light Body Irish Red Ale
Made with Honey
Bitterness 26 IBU
Color 20 SRM
Alcohol 5.8%

Gold top:
“Chimay Red Clone”
A Belgian Dubbel copied recipe
Bitterness 25 IBU
Color 14 SRM
Alcohol 7.6%

Black top:
“Big Fish Stout”
Belgian Oatmeal Stout
Bitterness 34 IBU
Color 36 SRM
Alcohol 6.1%

Everything but the stout.

Really liked all of them so far, i think the Chimay Red was my favorite. I'll try to drink a stout this weekend and ill let you know how it compared to my last one i drank about a month ago.

Make a Single, harvest yeast for a Tripel, and throw in a Belgian IPA and a Saison for good measure. Ardennes is a wonderful yeast strain for all four, but maybe do something different for the Saison.

scob18,

DId you ever us the yeast I sent you?

I have not yet. But i think i am going to coming up here pretty soon. It's starting to get warmer here in Texas and i think i want to make sure the yeast ferments at a higher temp for the next batch(since it's a Belgian).

Just patiently waiting!

Brewed a Wit i'm excited about in the meantime

Latest posts

Back