Recommend Belgian Factory Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to Hong Kong, and for some reason, there is a Belgian-style restaurant near my hotel. They serve 33 different beers.

I like anything Chimay makes. I like Fin du Monde, even though it comes from Canada. What are some good Belgian factory beers I should try?

Some good ones : Westmalle Triple, LA Chouffe Houblon, Malheur 10, Straffe Hendrick, Brugze Zot, Piraat, ...

I'm a huge fan of Belgians and drink them on the regular. A few of my favorites are listed below (sans any you mentioned):
  • Dubbel
    • St. Bernardus Pater 6
    • La Trappe Dubbel
  • Tripel
    • Westmalle Tripel
    • Tripel Karmeliet (this one is very innovative and unique - one of my all-time favorite beers)
    • Straffe Hendrik Tripel
  • Quadrupel
    • St. Bernardus Abt 12 (The classic example of the style, IMO)
    • Van Steenberge Gulden Draak
    • St. Feuillien Quadrupel
    • Trappists Rochefort 10
  • Belgian Golden Strong
    • Duvel
    • Van Steenberge Piraat
    • Het Anker Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer Blonde

As far as brands go, I feel like St. Bernardus has the most solid lineup across the board and they are really consistent. Van Steenberge makes what I consider to be objectively the most brilliantly constructed and executed beers. They are responsible for the legendary De Garre Tripel for example.

Chimay's beers have suffered over the course of time IMO. I had a 2023 bottle of Chimay Blue the other night that completely lacked any yeast character. I know their yeast well because I brew with it frequently and I still drink their brilliant Red from time to time. Their white varies from year to year like Westmalle but not in a good way.

Bosteels which makes Pauwel Kwak and Tripel Karmeliet has improved in quality since their acquisition by AB-Inbev though I hate to say it.

There are also some other more obscure brands like Achel and Zundert that are harder to find but quite tasty.

Drink what you can't get at home. St. B, La Chouffe, Piraat, Chimay, etc, I can get at the local Total Wine. Straffe Hendrick, I haven't seen in a while. Brugse Zot, I've only seen outside of Belgium once. I got the last three pints off a leftover keg from a Belgian Fest in Phoenix.

Drink what you can't get at home. St. B, La Chouffe, Piraat, Chimay, etc, I can get at the local Total Wine.
+1. Exactly this - and given that their selection is not that inspiring, I'd imagine that the average USian with access to Total Wine and Whole Foods could put together a better menu than this. Besides, going to a Belgian restaurant in HK feels a bit like going to Italy and eating Big Macs, just embrace the local stuff in all its weirdness.
I'm going to Hong Kong, and for some reason, there is a Belgian-style restaurant near my hotel. They serve 33 different beers....
Here's a copy of their menu, if anyone wants to look.
Meh, mostly ABI (all the draught plus Bosteels - Kwak, Karmeliet, Deus), the odd Heineken (Affligem), some of the bigger groups (Huyghe - Delirium, Floris, Mongozo) and of course the Trappists, but I imagine you can get all of those fairly easily at home. In Belgian terms, this is the equivalent of Goose Island and Sam Adams.
Brugse Zot, I've only seen outside of Belgium once.
It's fairly widely available in the UK, people have heard of it as Bruges is an easy weekend trip from here and the brewery is a stalwart of the tourist trail there. And FWIW, you can get ABI Deus for about US$20-25 here, although I wouldn't pay that much for it.

+1. Exactly this - and given that their selection is not that inspiring, I'd imagine that the average USian with access to Total Wine and Whole Foods could put together a better menu than this. Besides, going to a Belgian restaurant in HK feels a bit like going to Italy and eating Big Macs, just embrace the local stuff in all its weirdness.
You have to consider what travelers go through in real life. It sounds good to say you're going to live like a local, but no one is going to go to Hong Kong and eat Chinese food at every meal. On the day I plan to visit this Belgian joint, the wife and I are doing a food tour. We will have had all the Chinese food we need for one day. Also, many of the super-authentic local places are dirty, and people in Hong Kong still get things like typhoid from seafood and produce. "Embracing the weirdness" carelessly is to embrace bloody diarrhea and vomiting. You have to be careful what you do.

While I'm on the subject, we've done a lot of globetrotting over the last two years, and the sad truth is that "authentic" is generally mythical now. Paris, for example, is full of "authentic" French-cuisine places that serve slop for tourists. Fish and chips in Ireland are vastly inferior to Long John Silver's. I never appreciated Long John Silver's fish and chips until I went to Ireland. Long John's does a really excellent job.

We have tried to find real local food on our trips, and the situation is nothing like it was before nouvelle cuisine and the Internet. Everyone wants to cook flashy Gordon Ramsay food, so restaurants in many countries are a lot like the restaurants in Atlanta or St. Louis. I think Gordon Ramsay and the Food Network have done the world a lot of harm. Ramsay can't even cook a steak correctly, so his stars don't mean much to me. His scrambled eggs look like mucus with lumps.

If you Google Hong Kong restaurants, you find a lot of nouvelle BS, as well as Mexican and pizza joints. We plan to do our best to find good local food, but we're also happy to eat things like Indian and Thai.

As for McDonald's, my wife is not American, so we like to go to American chains during our trips. Lawry's in Singapore is awful. Ruth's is just like the ones here. McDonald's McMuffins and hash browns have been pretty dependable. Haven't tried the burgers since Paris in 1977. In the US, I only eat McDonald's burgers when I'm desperate, so I don't eat them abroad.

I have to say that the highly-touted Irish breakfast was a big letdown. One tiny egg and some lukewarm sausages, including one that was really just a giant spiced scab. Coffee with no cream; who drinks that? Cold beans from a can; why? When it comes to breakfast, America rules the globe. Biscuits and gravy. Waffles and real maple syrup (Europeans can't make it). Country ham and redeye gravy. Blueberry pancakes with tons of butter. We've had some nice breakfasts overseas, but nothing Cracker Barrel can't blow out of the water, and breakfast at my house would blow it all into the next galaxy. And an American invented eggs Benedict.

Bagels with Nova and cream cheese didn't exist until Americans put them together. Imagine a civilized brunch without them. Impossible!

All in all, our travels have made me appreciate what we have in America. Even the foreign food is often better here. Tex-Mex, for example, is way better than real Mexican food, and our pizza is incredible. And I haven't had decent barbecue anywhere outside the States.

I kicked around Hong Kong one weekend in 2005 while over there diving in the South China sea ... ate Sushi mostly ... ate at Jackie Chan's place ( one of those conveyor belt sushi joints) and another that was on the top floor of a skyscraper which was awesome but spendy ... wasn't paying attention due to the exchange rate funny money RMB whatever , and the fact that I had narrowly escaped getting thrown in a chinese prison on the mainland that morning where I would probably been forced to make mardi gras beads and cupie dolls 🤔 but anyway my bill was $ 400 US and it was just me by myself. It was a neat town then though ... Subway is the best I've been on anywhere .

It's fairly widely available in the UK, people have heard of it as Bruges is an easy weekend trip from here and the brewery is a stalwart of the tourist trail there. And FWIW, you can get ABI Deus for about US$20-25 here, although I wouldn't pay that much for it.

Tourist trail, that's exactly how I came across it. Two weeks working in the Hague, spent 48hrs in Bruges. Mussels cooked in Zot with a glass of the same on the side.

Here in middle America all the local online retail joints are out of stock on Deus. Have it listed at 40-45USD. I'd be surprised if you didn't have a wider, fresher, less expensive variety of European beers available to you.

Late getting back to this, but we never made it to the bar. You know how life is. It changes your plans. As Mike Tyson said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."

The food was very good just about everywhere, in case anyone here is interested in going. We really enjoyed a Viator.com food tour we took, but it seemed like everyone in Hong Kong could cook, even when we were on our own. Ki's Roasted Goose joints were amazing. You would not believe how good a roasted goose can be. We met Mr. Ki himself. The Empire dim sum room was wonderful. A place called Sister Wah made fantastic beef soup. I can't do it all justice in a forum post.

Avoid the Peninsula Hotel's afternoon tea, unless you're rich and just want to post selfies of yourself eating it. It's not good, and it costs a ton.

The looming shadow of the filthy, evil CCP was everywhere, but Hong Kong is still enjoyable.

Latest posts

Back