Belgian flavor development

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moviebrain

Reaction score
I tried my hand at a Belgian golden strong ale, and I had a question about how the banana/clove flavors develop.

Quick recipe notes:

7# Castle Pale malt
5# belgian pils
1# belgian wheat
czech saaz hops for ~34ibu

1388 belgian strong ale yeast, stir plate starter.

I started fermentation at 66F, and let it rise to 70 after 48 hours for a 10 day Primary. I dropped from 1.070 to 1.014. I transferred it from bucket to carboy to let it age for around a month and maybe get those last few points.

I tried the hydrometer sample and it was bland. That may be a combination of the excess yeast still in suspension and/or the lower temps at the start of my fermentation. For those with experience, as the beer ages do you find those classic Belgian flavors develop more over time, or clean up? I'm hoping for a bit more as it clears up. What can I expect?

Should be apparent very early on. Did you smell the airlock as it was bubbling? Did it have a strong fruity aroma? If so, then you're probably just missing the full aroma because the beer is flat and there's no carbonation or head releasing more of the esters.

1388 should give you more pear or apple than banana and clove.

Should be apparent very early on. Did you smell the airlock as it was bubbling? Did it have a strong fruity aroma? If so, then you're probably just missing the full aroma because the beer is flat and there's no carbonation or head releasing more of the esters.

1388 should give you more pear or apple than banana and clove.

Yes, it should be pretty evident early on, but Belgian yeasts do change over time. When young it should taste pretty much like it will, but it will change over time. Much like a good wine will change with age.

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah, at the airlock and during the active ferment it really blew out a lot of the fresh apple skin type aromatics, I was just really disappointed in the hydro sample. Hopefully once the majority of the yeast drops and it's carbonated the esters will get kicked to the front.

Cheers!

Those temps are pretty cool for most Belgian yeast. Next time I'd start at 70 and let it rise up to 76 or so.

I originally intended to ferment it warmer (and weeks ago) but the temps here in Chicago took a nose dive and I don't own a brew belt, only a chest freezer that has a split personality fermenter/serving vessel. I believe steady temps are more important than higher but fluctuating temps, so I kept it as warm as I could without letting it swing too much downward.

Thanks again for the help all.

Back