Belgian Blonde Fermentation Temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalmoSalar

Reaction score
Greetings all,
I'm not sure if this is where I need to post this thread, but here goes.
Well the situation is this: my buddy and I brewed a Belgian Blonde yesterday; pretty much Jamil's recipe except I mashed at 147F instead of 150 as per Ron Jeffries recipe in Brew Like a Monk. p. 229. Yeast is T-58. Chilled wort to 68F oxygenated and pitched yeast. Any how long story short, if I can make it so, is that I under estimated the temp in my buddy's cellar where the beer is fermenting now. Last time we brewed in May it was 60F Yesterday it was 72F (temp in cellar). I checked the fermentation temp today about 24 hours post pitching, and it is up to 78F (Wort, temp probe taped to outside of carboy). I was planning on the temp (Ambient)being the same 60 or at the most 65, as in May, so I could ramp up the temp from say 65 to 75 over the course of the week. So what I did was set the temp controller to keep the wort at 78F. My question I guess is this (or several questions) has anyone had experience with t58 at this temp?, I'm worried I may get some fusel alcohol at this temp and if so will it go away with a long period of aging? I think I read that it does in Brew Like a Monk.
Also as far as packaging we had planned to bottle condition in 750ml Belgian bottles,but would storing it in a corny keg at cool temps for a longer period before consumption be better at this point. Any Comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

An update on the Belgian Blonde: the first couple of days the fermentation temp went up to 80F so I just kept it there with the temp control and hot pad.
Checked the gravity today (1 week since pitching) and it went from 1.065 to 1.010. The sample tasted pretty good too. I didn't detect any solventy flavors at all. Will check the gravity in a couple more days and package if no change.

I'm almost convinced that fermenting T-58 at that high temp might not be a bad way to go!

even older still... ha!
i had a belgian strong (dark) start at 67 and then ramped it up to 72. after a week, i added 1lb of candi sugar, another pack of t-58 and it started a second fermentation. trouble is, i did not think it would take off too hard so i left it at 80 degrees for two days, and got a medium-strength banana smell in the fermenting fridge. after that 2 days, i took it back down to 72. i hope it isnt too bad, but i wont know until i bottle it sometime in June. Also i heard (once) that banana smell does NOT always mean off/flavor esters. it may mellow out after a few months. any ideas?

I've run T-58 very hot before and it always turns out great. Lots of esters produced with few off flavors. It is actually a good yeast to recommend for first time sasions

I've run T-58 very hot before and it always turns out great. Lots of esters produced with few off flavors. It is actually a good yeast to recommend for first time sasions

T-58 will make a beer, but a half assed saison. If you cannot get liquid yeast, than it's better than nothing. If you can get liquid yeast there are many good options that are vastly superior.

Latest posts

Back