Belgian 750 ml and 12 oz bottles same thickness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

av8er79

Reaction score
I am trying to stock up on some bottles for my next Belgian beer. I have acquired about 15 750ml cork bottles and about 10 smaller cap bottles or so. It is easily noticeable that the small chimay bottles are thicker than normal ones (meaning they could hold the 3.5+ volumes that I plan on carbing them to). I also have a couple of ommegang 12 oz bottles. They do not seem to be any different/thicker than a normal 12 oz bottle. I would assume that ommegang carbonates the 12 oz bottles the same as their 750 corked ones? So what I am trying to figure out is what makes a 12 oz bottle safe for high carbonation?

Most of the 750 bottles are thicker than a normal 12 oz bottle. However, the Ommegang 750 ml bottles are thinner than the standard 750 ml bottles you find. I noticed this the other day when gathering up my 750 collection for my annual holiday ale.

Back