Beginning Kegerator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbeerpig

Reaction score
I am thinking about converting my garage fridge into a kegerator, I was wondering if you can lay down the corny kegs and still dispense from them or do they have to be standing? If standing they take up more space which is harder to get the wife to agree:D I am planning on doing to kegs with through the door taps. Also any advice on where to find the parts for the best price would be greatly appreciated.

If they're laying down, they will only dispense about halfway because of the dip tube. You might be able to get creative and bend/cut the tube to lay against the side of the keg instead of the bottom, then be sure to lay them down with that side down. But you'd also have to change the gas in tube to a longer one that turned up into the headspace to avoid beer in your gas line. I don't think I'd trust a check valve that much. Probably more trouble than it's worth, but it could be do-able.

I just got a 2 tap fridge conversion kit from Beverage Factory. Their prices seemed to be the best as far as I researched. I just set it all up and I'm waiting for both batches to ferment so I can try it out.

I think they cornys need to be standing up for the beer to be dispensed through the diptube. If you're worried about room in the fridge, check Craigslist for a used fridge. Sometimes there are even free ones.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the parts from kegconnection... their prices seem almost too cheap.

I bought all of my kegging gear from kegconnection.com. It was great because it came all assembled and ready to go. I wanted to have two kegs to dispense, but purchase three kegs, and they worked it out for me. The price was very good, and the customer service was great. The instruction sheet they sent with the kegging gear was very helpful, and I was up and running as soon as I got co2 (the co2 tank comes empty because they can't ship full tanks). I'd highly recommend using them for any kegging needs/gear. They also can help you right over the phone if you have any questions setting it up.

I later bought another 4 kegs, and then a bigger co2 tank, etc, so it's nice if you can upgrade the equipment when you're ready. I never anticipated doing that, but it worked just fine with the equipment I already had.

I got a 4 tap fridge set up from them, and did some changes to the one they advertised (added a two guage regulater to force carb etc). I changed the standard faucets to perlicks.

They made a couple of mistakes (forgot to put something in the box, didn't ship an item) and were quick to correct the mistakes and made me very happy.

I can reccomend them without hesitation. They are doing good business. I guess you can do it cheaper building it all from parts, but they are selling great systems.

I started out using the fridge that was in my garage..... Within a month, that fridge was on craigslist, and sold for $150. I bought a chest freezer for $190 that will hold 4 kegs (6 if i ever add a colar) and am FAR happier...

I have 4 in my fridge... and it is not a big fridge. I could probably fit a fifth if I Removed the light from the center.

No reason not to use a fridge if that is what you have. Many reasons they are nice. I still have a freezer to store hops, frosty mugs and jugs for the fermentation chiller.

My fridge would only fit 2 kegs, and we had nothing to throw in the freezer. It was running constantly. I am sure I am saving $10-20/month with the chest freezer (Mainly because almost empty fridge's are not energy efficient)

Back