Beerstone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In doing research on some off flavors I have been fighting with, I came across the topic of beerstone.

Anybody have any good pictures of "beerstone" in a keg? I have seen some pictures of it in keg lines, but none of it in a keg.

My keg lines look like some of the beerstone lined pictures I have seen. I am going to order some new lines this week. My kegs look really good on the inside. They feel smooth to the touch (I read that if they don't feel smooth, you might have beerstone).

Anyway, I was wondering what, if any, is the off-flavor produced by beerstone? Can it be described? Or is it just a harboring place for bacteria that can lead to off flavors?

Thanks,

D

Doing some more research, it looks like the latest recommended method of cleaning beerstone is to first do a soak in a phosphoric/nitric acid mix, followed by a soak in an alkaline cleaner. I have seen it hinted that 5 star's acid #5 and acid #6 are some type of phosphoric/nitric mix. Does anybody have experience with these products?

I have also read that many have had success using Bar Keeper's Friend for removing beerstone.

Acid 6 is used to clean kegs. It should get rid of beer stone. Acid 5 passivates at a higher concentration and is an acid rinse at a lower concentration. I used #5 to clean and passivate my keggle (several new welds).

From the sound of things, I wouldn't be too worried about your kegs. Lots of people here keg and not too many have access to industrial strength cleaners, yet there are very few threads on this topic.

Back