Beersmith giving me low SRM for Oatmeal Stout Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnewb1

Reaction score
I just got back from the LHBS, where I picked up an all-grain Oatmeal Stout recipe. Unfortunately they only had a partial mash recipe, so they converted it to all-grain for me. Recipe is as follows:

9lbs 2-row Pale Malt
.5lbs Flaked Oats
.5lbs Chocolate Malt
.25lbs Black Patent Malt

For some reason when I enter this into Beersmith it's giving me an SRM of 22.7. When I looked up what this might look like, it seems a bit low for an oatmeal stout. Am I wrong in thinking this?

What factors could cause this? It has me mashing with 4 gallons, and then batch sparging with 5.4 gallons. Could this be a factor?

For my 5 gallon profile, using Briess chocolate (350L), I get an SRM of 25.3, which is in style. Your 22.7 is also in style, though right on the lower edge.

Chocolate varies wildly between maltsters, but I think Briess is the lightest, so I'm not sure why you're getting such a low SRM.

Black Patent at 500L, right?

Good question. The recipe just said "Black Patent Malt," and they had a bin full of something by the same name, so that's what I grabbed. I actually didn't check that number. I've never had to grab the grain myself (I usually just order online,) so this is a good reminder to ask that next time.

All the roasted malts vary wildly between maltsters both in color and character. Swap one maltsters chocolate malt for another and no exaggeration you can have a completely different beer. Best to find one you like and stick with it so at least it stays consistent relative to itself.

What is your batch size and process losses. You are adding that grain to 9.4 gallons of water to start. If your ending up with 5 gallons in the fermenter and you have a typical boil off rate of about a gal/hr, then you have about 3.4 gallons of wort which you are coloring but are not going into the fermenter.

Beyond that, I think the others have highlighted the vast differences in color malts, especially dark malts, between maltsters. It can make a huge difference in ending color.

I agree with Oginme that sounds like a lot of losses for a 5 gal batch. When you say "It has me mashing" I assume you are talking about Beersmith. You need to set up your equipment profile with all your correct measurements - i.e. you should be telling it what to do not the other way around.

Also the recipe itself seems pretty light on the total dark roasted grains at .75 lb (7%) for a 5 gal batch. I'm not surprised you're on the lighter side for a stout, I would bump the black malt up to .5-.75 lb.

Last edited:
Back