Beers to try while in Italy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewtastic

Reaction score
Just found out earlier today that I get to go to Italy (Tuscany specifically) for work in May.

I'm sure I'm going to get to try some great wines while there but I really want to get my hands on some great beer that I'll never get a chance to try again. And all I've seen state side from Italy is Peroni.

So has anyone here had some great brews from Italy that I just have to try?

I know one Italian brewery, they are called Loverbeer and they are situated in the Piedmont district in the north west corner of Italy. It's about 250 miles from Florence so maybe it's a bit out of your way.

They were present at the beer festival hosted by Brewery De Molen and they brought a very, very nice collection of sours with them, but they seem to brew other styles as well.

If you can look past the name and the horrible website, it might be worth a visit :)

edit: I accidentally a word

While I was there I could only really get my hands on Lagers. They were tasty but I was hard pressed to find some real ale. As you mentioned it is not a big beer country lol

Let me look up the stout a local Italian restaurant carries. It's amazing. They use peppers in it, just enough to pick up the heat in the back of your throat. It went great with braised rabbit and sausage.... I'm dying now. It's at one of my favorite restaurants!

Oh well, the stout is not listed on their beer menu. Unfortunately they haven't updated it since 2009. But anyway, check it out because it lists 5 Italian beers that aren't the typical lagers:

http://www.enotecamaria.com/wp/category/other-wines/

If you're lucky, they might have some Sierra Nevada or Sam Adams there. Just kidding, I couldn't resist. I went to Italy when I was 18 for a school trip, and we had to get our permission slips to be able to drink. Out of the 20 or so people, everyone drank wine the entire time, but I drank beer. I only remember drinking Nastro Azzuro, because everyone else referred to it as Nasty Azzuro. I was young and drank High Life then (its still my go-to), but to me it wasn't bad, I'm sure you'll be able to find it.

I spent the last 2.5 years in Italy. There are some really incredible beers in Italy. Italy does not have a brewing tradition, so they are very much like Americans in their willingness to experiment. Most Italian brewers are taught in either Germany or Belgium. You can see the influence in their beers. I will look at my notes when I get home and shoot you some that I tried and liked. Tuscana has some good beers. Don't even touch the Perroni. You need a good craft brew to go with the Tuscan specialty of tripe (actually quite good). Also, head over to Florence for the best steak you will ever eat.

More to follow.

Paul

Okay, in no particular order...

-Bier du Moulin - the Ambrata is pretty good

-Bryton (La Birra dei Liguri) - near Genova, use native wild hops

-Birrificio Del Ducato - lots of choices; excellent brewery; try them all, I especially like their Chimera

-Birrificio Turbacci - this place is awesome, near Rome it shares a building with the local ice rink (Italian don't play hockey). I brought several home with me.

-Birrificio degli Archi - very small brewery in Tuscany

-Birrifico Baladin - these guys are known around the world for excellent beers

-Birrificio La Petrognola - Tuscan brewery, they make a beer with Farro called Maremanna, farro is the local barley, also a really nice castagna (chestnut) beer.

Collesi - nice triple style with slight Brett sourness

There are many others. Also, find a local beer store or even the local grocery store will amaze you. You can pick up Belgian beers at the grocery that you would never see here.

Trust me. Italians make great brewers. Just Google "birrificio" (brewery) and your location and you will find something. I did not make it to many that I wished I had been able to try. If you have the chance, take a drive north to Bavaria. Every town has its own brewery. Your choices at the local restaurant are light or dark, or weizen.

Ciao.

Paul

Thanks for all the great info everyone! I am really excited to get to drink some beers that I probably won't have the chance to drink again.

Panil barriquee. I got it here in the U.S. but it's from Italy. Hands down one of the best sours I have ever had.

So for all interested parties, headed out today, actually just sitting in the SATX airport waiting for my flight. Apparently I'm going to have a fair amount of down time, which hopefully translates into some bottle shopping.

So I had a hard time finding any good craft beer. My free time was very limited as it was a work trip. I did get to drink some very fresh Pilsner Urquell. I found a very obscure deProef bier in Florence called Bloemenbiere that I brought back and have yet to try. Then in Siena after spending a couple hours walking around looking for somewhere with craft beer, when I was just about to leave I saw a chalkboard sign that said "Birra Italiano Artiginale". They carried three beers. One was just called "Siena" which I drank there. It was a Golden Ale, very similar to Real Ale Fireman's 4. Then I picked up the same brewery's stout. The brewery was Birrificio Montelupo, the stout's called Luponero. I have yet to consume that one. Most everywhere I went though and asked for "Birrra Italiano" I was offered Peroni or Morreti.... and ended up just drinking wine instead. I did however see a bottle of Morreti "Gran Cru".... I decided to skip it.

Back