Beergas and Stout Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimman

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I have a stout faucet with beergas in use for quite some time however I have never really got the correct pour. Either I get all foam and 10min later half a pint of beer or I get a glass of flat beer. All depends on my serving pressure.

I understand beergas should be between 25-35 psi depending on temp and carb level desired however I have never found the perfect pressure.

I have inspected all of my parts and everything is in great condition. Keg to faucet.

My beer line is about 6ft however I was thinking length shouldn't matter with a stout faucet.

Any ideas on how to control my set up? Really I have gone from pouring a pint at 10psi with is a glass full of flat beer with a nice foam effect to 40psi which give me very fine foam bubbles and a long wait to drink.

Thanks

Cheers,

beergas?

Do you mean CO2 which is the most typical "beer gas", or nitrogen because you're talking about stouts?

If you're using CO2, 40psi is WAY too high. 12psi is more like it if your beer is close to 40F... if it was coming out too flat at 10psi it likely didn't have enough time to sit until CO2 was fully dissolved into the solution. If you're talking about nitrogen somebody else will have to field this

Attached below are some graphs I've found on this site. One is a reference for how many volumes of CO2 are typical for various styles of beer, and the PDF chart shows you how many psi to set your regulator in order to achieve a target volume of CO2 at a known temperature.

View attachment CO2chart.pdf

beer styles & volumes of CO2.png

I currently don't have a stout tap or beergas :(, but most successful deployments seem to use ~25PSI at 38-40F serving temp.
Line length shouldn't really matter because the restricter plate is by far the most restrictive element of the system.
If it's mixed CO2 (typical beergas), you need to turn down the pressure when you're done serving so it doesn't overcarb.

I have 20 feet of bevlex 3/16 @ 32-34F and am running on about 35PSI (I think one swizzle stick too, but can't remember). I get a good cascade now (30seconds +) and it settles to about 3/4 inch, or a bit more of head.

I have tried precardbing with CO2 as well as using the beer gas. I am still ironing out my setup but I am close.

If you have too much co2 it is likely too short line length or over carbed (1.8 volumes +). If you aren't getting a good cascade that means you need to up the psi.

Everyone says line length doesn't matter; not sure I agree with that yet. I read a lot of posts that indicated 30 feet of bevlex 3/16 line at 30 PSI carbed 1.2-1.6 volumes.

Thanks everyone. I was referring to co2/nitrogen mixture. Ok you have all given me some thoughts. My temp has been at 36. I don't think it's overcarbed at all just not balanced.

Well now I think about it I did have it set for 35psi at 36f. Maybe it is too carbonated.

Any other ideas?

I'll try lowering the pressure and venting the keg. Maybe that will help.

Cheers,

Thanks everyone. I was referring to co2/nitrogen mixture. Ok you have all given me some thoughts. My temp has been at 36. I don't think it's overcarbed at all just not balanced.

Well now I think about it I did have it set for 35psi at 36f. Maybe it is too carbonated.

Any other ideas?

I'll try lowering the pressure and venting the keg. Maybe that will help.

Cheers,

if you don't think it is overcarbed I would add more line length. If it gets better then you know it was restriction. If it doesn't you know you are over carbed.

Back