Beer will not dispense

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfowler1

Reaction score
Hello HBT - it has been a while.

After a move and a baby, I brewed (double batch) for the first time in almost 2 years. After 10 years of bottling, I got the go ahead for a basic keezer set up. I went with the Draft Brewer Dual System from NB and a 7 cu ft freezer.

Following assembly and leak testing, I cleaned the kegs, ran some star SAN through the beverage lines (pushed with CO2), and racked 2 beers into the kegs, dropped them in the chest freezer, and planned to follow the burst carb method. I set both regulators to about 35 psi at 40 degrees F, came back 24 hours later, released the pressure from the head space, closed the regulator valves, set to 12/15 PSI, opened the valves, and tried to pour a sample. All I got was a trickle of beer.

Cursed a bit, fumbled around a bit, and got one of the kegs to pour (somehow) but not the other. I removed the beverage line on the one that wasn't functioning to check for blockages, and found nothing. I reversed the hook ups, and blew co2 down through the pick up tube, and it was bubbling away, so I do not think the tube is clogged.

Google and YouTube were no help.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll take a look at it.

Things were working fine 24 hours earlier when I pushed starsan through the system. This is the fact that has me most confused.

Here is a thought... if the headspace in the keg is at a higher pressure that I am putting through the regulator, could that lock the system up and keep Beer from dispensing, or will it want to travel down the beverage line when I open the tap regardless of regulator pressure?

An open faucet on a pressurized keg on a well-built dispensing system is going to dispense regardless of the regulator pressure - unless the plumbing is clogged with debris...

Cheers!

I reversed the hook ups, and blew co2 down through the pick up tube, and it was bubbling away, so I do not think the tube is clogged.

Is this an IPA or other hoppy beer? I wouldn't rule out a blockage. IME what you did works most of the time for yeast/trub sludge but I've had kegs with hop debris that clogged right back up again despite clearing the diptube both by removing it and by blowing CO2 down

You can attach a plain vinyl tube to your QD, omitting the picnic tap. Or if you're brave, push down on the poppet in the liquid post. It should spray beer. Do this outside.

If your keg posts have "universal poppets" they may be too long and need to be shortened a turn to allow the QD poppet to push them down. It's a fine balance there. If the poppets have 3 little feet, they are regular ones, and should work without problems if seated correctly.

Indeed hop debris etc. could plug them up too. You can depressurize the keg (pull the PRV valve) and unscrew the (liquid) post to check inside.

4.5% ABV Saison. 3 weeks in primary. 1 oz dryhop during week 3.

I initially had this problem with both kegs. Then I lifted the lid, fiddled around a bit... shook the kegs, played with the regulator, etc, and the other beer (6.5% abv Saison) started pouring perfectly fine.

My other possible issue was freeze up, especially given the one keg (higher ABV) suddenly started working last night. Freezer was set to 40, but therm was hanging only half way down. I figure warm kegs, new freezer, could get a little icy in the bottom of that thing as it got fired up. I pulled the 4.5 abv out of the fridge before work. If it was ice, things should have sorted themselves out by this evening. If not, I'll be pulling apart the out valve. I will report back.

Not frozen. Poppet was clogged with hops. Cleared the hops in poppet and dip tube with some star San, put it back together, and it worked great. Until it clogged again. I am going to crash it cold again, try to drop things to the bottom of the keg, and I guess I'll just keep giving it the treatment until the last of the hop matter Is cleared.

Lesson learned. Hop spider, hop bags, something moving forward.

I've got a keg on right now that insists on clogging the dip tube (about 1.5 oz of hops in a hop sack) and I'm in about the same place. I didn't tie it to the top with floss and I should have. Just gave it a shake and hope that moves it out of the way for now.

Back