Beer was clear now it's murky. What happened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christler

Reaction score
I kegged a belgian pale ale back in mid January. I've been drinking it for a few now. I had a couple of pints on Saturday and they were crystal clear. I poured one tonight and it is super murky. What would cause that?

There is probably a gallon or so left. I doesn't taste good at all. Kinda sour. Could something have infected the top of the beer? Has anyone ever had this happen.

Cheers!

I wonder if you had something that was slowly growing inside the keg and has just now gotten high enough to be noticeable.

That's what I was wondering. It's just weird that 2days ago it was clear and tasted fine.

Normally to me that's the sign of an almost empty keg. Or one that's been jostled about roughly.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Normally to me that's the sign of an almost empty keg. Or one that's been jostled about roughly.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Does that happen when a keg ids almost empty? I've never had that happen. And it's just been sitting in my mini fridge so it hasn't been moved

Does that happen when a keg ids almost empty? I've never had that happen. And it's just been sitting in my mini fridge so it hasn't been moved

I have had it happen to me with a couple kegs. Especially if I don't cold crash long enough before transferring to the keg. My thought is that as the keg sits in the fridge it gets clearer because everything settles out and a trench clear of debris forms in the bottom that the beer is drawn through to the dip tube. when you get closer to empty the sludge on the bottom gets drawn in with the beer because the trench starts falling in on its self.

Does this make sense?

I have had it happen to me with a couple kegs. Especially if I don't cold crash long enough before transferring to the keg. My thought is that as the keg sits in the fridge it gets clearer because everything settles out and a trench clear of debris forms in the bottom that the beer is drawn through to the dip tube. when you get closer to empty the sludge on the bottom gets drawn in with the beer because the trench starts falling in on its self.

Does this make sense?

Yeah it does. I only crashed it for a day. Most the time I don't cold crash though. I guess I just assumed that any sediment would crash to the bottom of the keg and it would all get poured out in the first few pints.

Back