Beer Wars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verotik

Reaction score
Just watched this documentary, which was released to DVD/Netflix yesterday. Pretty interesting with lots of interviews from some of the better craft brewers and some very interesting information on the big 3. Make sure to check it out!

http://beerwarsmovie.com/

Watching it on Netflix instant que next. I also recommend the PBS Special Pubs In Ireland and the History Channel of Breweries in the USA. :) LOVE NETFLIX!

The History Channel and PBS specials we're first on the list when we switched to Netflix last year. Beer Wars, with it's focus on craft beer, has them both beat by a long shot IMO.

I think I'll watch it again tonight. :mug:

Make it a drinking game.. anytime someone mentions beer or you see beer you drink...

NOTE: Attempting this drinking game you will die and will suffer a hangover in the afterlife.

Just rented/watched this last night. I thought it was a pretty good documentary. Very interesting on how dogfish head got it's start and how they are trying to expand. Also does a good job of showing how BMC tries to eliminate all of their competition. I think that the biggest challenges craft breweries must face is trying to get their brew distributed because of the three tier system. Something I can't remember if it was said in the film or not is if the three tier system is a federal thing, or is it state by state? Are their any states that let the breweries go straight to the retailers or do they all need to go through a distributor?

I watched it last night too. I couldn't feel sorry for that Rhonda lady though. IDK if she ever thought that maybe she'd succeed better if she had a better product. Her husband can't compare the rise of Boston Beer Company with her current product, and maybe that's what all those bartenders are telling her.

Her story to me probably shouldn't have been included, because she came up with the idea from a marketing standpoint instead of a that of a craft brewer. But then again, the movie really was just about competition, so I guess its ok.

I too watched it last night! I was amazed of all the brands that InBev/Anheiser Busch own. That beer wall schematic breakdown of everything AB versus non-AB was downright scary. Makes me proud to get all the beer [that I don't make] from an independent boozahol store where the floorspace for the BMC breweries is tiny compared to their other stock.

As far as the three-tier system, I think they implied it was a state by state thing, but every state uses it. However, I'm pretty sure there are some states that let craft breweries bypass the middle tier. I don't know if that's just done by said craft brewery forming their own distribution company or by some other means.

I also took a piece of advice by the Dogfish Head guy to heart. In the scene where he is giving the beer tasting dinner at the Waldorf Astoria, he mentions something like you should try a BMC beer at room temperature versus a craft brew at room temp and see which one tastes better. I have long since enjoyed my beer warm, thought I don't go out of my way to drink it that way, like when I'm bottling. I'll generally drink whatever I used to take a gravity reading and will actually pour myself another pint of warm-flat homebrew to enjoy while I'm filling. I have yet to have one that wasn't drinkable.

I've got it on right now. Very interesting so far. The beer wall schematic was definitely interesting.

Ron

I enjoyed it. Made me want to drink some home brew. It was effective in making me not want to buy anything associated with BMC. I would rather drink beer from a brewer that sells a quality product not one that is focused on world domination through marketing.

I have seen the movie twice now. I really liked it. I agree with above posts that it must be very hard to get a product going like "Moonshot". Funny thing is I live in the Boston area and have been to many store and have never seen her beer. I wish her the best of luck.

I always love listening to Sam Calagione talk. I have so much respect for him and what he has done with Dogfish Head.

I watched it too. It has been in our netflix queue for a long time. I live in one of the 3-tier states and from what I've seen, it ain't going away. According to the film, the beer lobby is bigger than guns and tobacco combined. It is also illegal to by alcohol here on Sunday...except in a restaurant or a bar. Pretty effed up. At least I can go to my local Kroger store and buy beer or wine. Gotta go to a licensed liquor store (not ABC) for distilled spirits.

I started it last night and finished it up tonight... I thought it was interesting and informative (about the lobbies and such) but there were many things I didn't like about it/ the people in it... I learned some, but not much.

Back