Beer too young or something else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrij4

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm on my 5th full boil extract batch and I've got a persistent funk to my beer after secondary fermentation.

Based on all of the descriptions I've read, I'd say it's an Autolyzed yeast flavor. A little soy sauce like. It's not overwhelming, but definitely noticeable. But, it usually dissipates after about 3wks in the kegerator.

I've been direct pitching Wyeast smack packs without a starter. I usually do 2wks primary and 2wks secondary - both in my basement. The fermometer on the primary usually stays between 70&74F.

My question is, is this normal "young" or "green" beer flavor, or is something awry with my fermentation that's stressing or autolyzing the yeast? Am I doing anything else wrong? Longer fermentation cycles?

Thanks!

It's usually dark beers like porters & stouts that can get that soy sauce thing going. That & underpitching. And get your temps down to 66-68F for cleaner flavors with less off/estery funky flavors.

Definitely fermenting too warm. The brewer makes wort, the yeast make beer. It's your job as the brewer to keep the yeast happy. Most ale yeasts are happier in the mid 60s (fermentation temperature, not ambient temperature). I'd consider using a swamp cooler or refridgeration to control your ferm temps. Doing so should greatly improve your finished beers.

Autolysis takes a pretty long time to occur, I doubt that's your issue.

Yup, you need to begin making starters to ensure proper pitch rate and you need to control fermentation temps much better and your beer will definitely improve!

Www.yeastcalc.com orWww.mrmalty.com to determine pitch rates and set up swamp cooler or get a ferm chamber with temp control to manage fermentation temperatures

Awesome responses! Thanks everyone. I'll make a starter for the next batch and make sure I target mid 60's for fermentation temp.

What I have done here is put the carboy in a bucket of cold water for when I am fermenting. This is a 3gal glass carboy in a home depot paint bucket.

I have a fan blowing on the bucket and will add ice as necessary

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

You're doing it right! Keep it up. Temp control is probably the single most important factor in the first few days of fermentation along with the other obvious sanitation things. You will definitely taste a higher quality brew because of it.

Latest posts

Back