Beer test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Finally, bosses are gone.

The other day I went into Chili's for a 'to go' order. There were 4 or 5 'team members' taking this test. I looked at it. I think one question is really wrong. And two more maybe 1/2 right & wrong. I'm going to post 7 questions as they are written.

1. List the 3 primary components of beer?

2. What component determines whether the beer is an Ale or a Lager?

3. What component acts as a flavor and preserving agent?

4. Provide a breif description of a Lager?

5. List 3 sub-styles of Lagers that were shown in your Participant Guide. Any of the following are acceptable?

6. Provide a breif description of an Ale?

7. List 3 sub-styles of the Ales that were shown in your Participant Guide. Any if the following are acceptable?

There are 12 questions in all, but the last 5 are dumb.

I have the ansewer sheet as well. I figured I'd wait til' Saturday and give the answers. Have fun.

at least they're trying to educate their staff about beer. a lot of places don't do much if any training, resulting in clueless waitstaff giving out false information or just pushing customers toward BMC lite.

but ok, if you want to be picky there are 4 primary components of beer (I doubt they were looking for "water"). and the whole ale/lager description thing is silly, that's like trying to give a brief description of a red/white wine. that having been said, I can't tell you how many (mostly older) guys I've had come into the brewpub where I work and ask for an "ale." trying to convince them that all our beers are ale is a waste of time, and I just pour them whatever the closest we have to a British Mild/Pale/Bitter.

I am still new to brewing but i will take a shot

1) since it does not say 4 components i will say grains(normally barley), hops, and yeast
2) component? this makes me think yeast, but i am also inclined to think it is the temperature of fermentation as well as yeast
3) hops!
4) a lager is a cold fermented brew
5) bock, pilsner, and dunkel
6)an ale is fermented at warmer temps around 60-70 degrees
7) brown, amber, pale, golden, stout etc...

so how did i do in the eyes of chilis? do i have a promising furture in their company? haha

Well. Not the response I thought. Ok here we go. These are the ansewers that were given on the test. Word for word.

1. Malted bareley, hops, yeast

2. Yeast

3. Hops

4. Brewed with bottom ferementing yeast that works slowly at lower tempretures. The laget yeast produces few by-product chatacters than an ale which allows for other flavors such as the hops to be more apperent.

5. Lager, light lager, pilsner/ pale ale, amber/ red lager

6. Use top-fermented yeasts that ferment at higher tempretures. Produce a by-product called esters which are flowery and fruity aromas such as pear, apple, pinapple, hay, banana, and prunes

7. Stout, wheat, hefeweisen, blonde, brown ale.

Well. Not the response I thought. Ok here we go. These are the ansewers that were given on the test. Word for word.

1. Malted bareley, hops, yeast

2. Yeast

3. Hops

4. Brewed with bottom ferementing yeast that works slowly at lower tempretures. The laget yeast produces few by-product chatacters than an ale which allows for other flavors such as the hops to be more apperent.

5. Lager, light lager, pilsner/ pale ale, amber/ red lager

6. Use top-fermented yeasts that ferment at higher tempretures. Produce a by-product called esters which are flowery and fruity aromas such as pear, apple, pinapple, hay, banana, and prunes

7. Stout, wheat, hefeweisen, blonde, brown ale.

I don't have the "participant guide" of course, but those answers are surprisingly good!

So, according to this, a pale ALE is a type of lager?

What?

:drunk:

Well, no. But still, it's a good basic questionnaire. They probably have "pilsners and pale lagers" interchangeble (many brewpubs even do) and for servers often "pale" = "pilsner" which of course isnt correct but not as bad as it could be!

Back