Beer Tasted Great Until Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringo311

Reaction score
I made two beers an edmund fitzgerald clone and a similar porter with less hops and more chocolate malt. Both beers coming out of secondary tasted great and the ef clone tasted a lot like it should. So I kegged (new kegs and new expensive lines) and set it and forget it for a week. Ive been sampling every day for the last few days and the beers are not good. They are carbed but taste flat and have no character or hop taste or chocolatey taste like they did. Even worse they have a stale metallic taste that is the first thing I taste in every sip. It's still drinkable buy im seriously disappointed. What happened? I thought I sterilized well and had no sign of infection.

At what pressure did you carb? Metallic taste is often a result of over-cabonation. Also, I'd give it at least another week before sampling again, at one week it's still a bit green...

Cool thanks. 10 psi my lines are 10' long. How many oz of beer dpes that hold and would the beer in the lines taste flat?

What temperature is your beer?
Let it warm up some before tasting. Cold porters and stouts can appear thin.

Concur with suggestion to let it warm up a bit after pouring. Also, carbonation will change the flavor some anyway.

You said those were new kegs, but how did you clean them before racking the beer?

Concur with the above sentiments:

- A week isn't enough time to fully carb via set and forget. 14 days is usually my minimum before I'll pull a sample when carbing this way.

- Green beers (within a week or two old) will have a bit of carbonic bite from the CO2. It will mellow with time. Being that these are porters, I would think they could definitely stand to age for a month or two.

Latest posts

Back