beer storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeGottsch

Reaction score
A question on which I would appreciate input. I have an annual Oktoberfest party. Usually in January or February, I make a lager for that party (I live in Philadelphia). Never before, in 7 years, have I had an issue. This year, however, my lager foamed up when the bottles were opened, and lots of foam in the glass had to settle (the beer still tasted good). I used the correct amount of priming sugar (3/4 cup/5 oz.). I kept it stored in the basement until August, then refrigerated it for two months. (Basement gets quite hot in summer; still, I have never had this problem before). I would appreciate advice on what to do. My only thoughts were 1) undercarbonate, an idea I don't like; 2) make it in March (about as late as you can ferment a lager where I live); or 3) refrigerate it longer.

Was it underattenuated when it was bottled? You could use the correct amt of sugar but if you still have unfermented sugar left it'll still overcarbonate I'd think. And I only think that because I've been guilty of it...

These are the usuals:

- Beer was not done fermenting
- Wrong amount of sugar
- They were opened to warm

How did you add the priming sugar to your beer?

I would almost assume opened a little warm...I have this problem a lot when I go to a bar and get a Sam Adams from the bottle...It always overflows when it's opened...it's still cold but not really cold enough

make sure they're chilled when opened, and weigh your priming sugar rather than measuring it by volume, also be sure you have the correct amount determined by an online calculator. If you bottled it while colder than usual it would have more CO2 in suspension and need less sugar.

Latest posts

Back