Beer Stone in a plastic conical...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atoughram

Reaction score
I seem to have built up a bit of beer stone in my conical.

I've searched threads here and found cleaning beer stone on SS, but not plastic...

It appears that Five Star Acid Cleaner #5 works pretty well for beer stone on stainless, but has anyone tried it on plastic?

I might try HCL/Muriatic Acid on it but keep it away from the stainless...

Anyone have any good ideas?

DSCN1181.JPG

Full the bucket/fermenter with hot water and add a scoop of oxyclean and it'll remove the beer stone on plastic.

Looks like the tank is made from Polyethylene plastic and is safe for Muriatic Acid. The stainless is not safe for Muriatic...

Oxiclean won't do it. Do you have StarSan? What I did for my stainless kettle, and I'm sure it should do that same for plastic, is use 4x concentration (or just do 4oz in 4 gallons to make it easier) and let it sit for 20-30 minutes then dump it out and clean it. The beerstone will even wipe away with a wet towel.

Rev.

Oxiclean won't do it. Do you have StarSan? What I did for my stainless kettle, and I'm sure it should do that same for plastic, is use 4x concentration (or just do 4oz in 4 gallons to make it easier) and let it sit for 20-30 minutes then dump it out and clean it. The beerstone will even wipe away with a wet towel.

Rev.

I am doing this :) I do have a quart of starsan.. I'll do a starsan soak for now but looking elsewhere, I found Five Star Acid Blend #5 for a lot cheaper than Starsan - and I'm replacing this conical next year with a SS one but this one still has a few brews left in it. I've fermented 235 gallons in it without an acid cleaning. (15gal conical, 22 batches.)

http://www.store.homebrew4less.com/...horic-Blend--1-Gallon/productinfo/BC6712-A-1/

The starsan did wonders - I let it soak while the Seahawks beat the Browns... :)

But it's still not perfect, I think I'll try some of the Five Star Acid cleaner sometime.

DSCN1182.JPG

Wow! That cleaned it right up!

When my kettle got a little messy, I used cheap oven cleaner on it and it cleaned right up.

I have horrendously hard water where I live and when I use tap with oxyclean, it leaves a nasty build up after a soak. I have to follow with a concentrated acid soak and that usually does the trick.

I have horrendously hard water where I live and when I use tap with oxyclean, it leaves a nasty build up after a soak. I have to follow with a concentrated acid soak and that usually does the trick.

What kind of acid?

I had issues when using straight Oxyclean too - but I added a 3:1 ratio Red Devil TSP 90 powder to it and that seems to have taken care of most of the problem.

Time for another beer stone removal soak - I ordered some Saniclean and will try and CIP it.

Vinegar works phenomenal, but not sure if there would be a problem with the retained smell.

Good question. It's a 17 gallon inductor tank, I'd hate to ruin it and make it smell like pickles.

Back