Beer line shut off valves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWMK2

Reaction score
Does anyone have inline shut off valves for there kegorators? I have a 17 year old son thati dont want drinking my beer and i have 4 taps on my fridge converted kegorator. The fridge has a lock on it. Im trying to avoid the expense of the comercial tap locks.

I was in the same boat as you. I went to my LHBS and the price to get an inline shutoff valve was over $30. (valves, barb, coupler, etc.) I needed 2 so this would bring the price up to over $60. I found tap locks online for around the same price. I could probably find the valves online cheaper, but in the end I decided as the above poster mentioned...disconnect the QD's from each corny. I had a lock on my fridge and while it wasn't optimal, I didn't feel like spending the money for this. I felt that no matter what I did, tap lock, shut off valve, or disconnect lines, it would all take about the same time to do when I wanted to serve up a pint. An inconvenience no matter how you look at it. But maybe a necessary one.

This may be off topic, but it just occurred to me...

Would it be possible to use a valve like that to dial in the appropriate serving line pressure?

It seems to me that placing a valve immediately upstream of the faucet would allow beer lines to be as short as you like (say, long enough to reach from the keg to the faucet, with no loops), and you can adjust the valve until you get a proper pour.

Yes? No?

The pressure would be higher before the valve. So as the beer passes the valve to the tap, it would see a significant drop in pressure. I would think that this would be just like pushing 1/2 way on a picnic tap - Which will get you a glass full of foam.

BoxofRain said:
Exactly what I was looking for. Glad I searched it before starting a new thread. Thanks...

Just found this thread and seams to be just what I am looking for.

Did you get any? If so how are they working out for you? Do they make your beer foamy at all?

I did get them and they did at first but after they got cold and the pressure stabilized they work great. i would put them closer to the ball lock rather than the faucet next time though. hope this helps

BMWMK2 said:
I did get them and they did at first but after they got cold and the pressure stabilized they work great. i would put them closer to the ball lock rather than the faucet next time though. hope this helps

Great!!! One more question, were do you have yours now? I was planing on putting them a little before the shanks. Just curious why you say you would put them closer to the ball lock.

I have them about 10 inches from the shanks but I did one of them closer to the ball lock and i think the pressure stabilizes better on that one.

BMWMK2 said:
I have them about 10 inches from the shanks but I did one of them closer to the ball lock and i think the pressure stabilizes better on that one.

Ok thanks for the replies.

Back