Beer is fully carbed after two days!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggben

Reaction score
ok took reading on beer before bottling everything seemed a ok but!, today is the second day and i have 1 and a half inch head on my beers already. whats going on i have never had a beer carb that fast its been sitting at 70 degrees nothing out of the ordinary. 4 oz of corn sugar for priming which has been my standard so im a little confused why its carbed so quick. it taste great though, has anyone had this problem and did they blow up?

Doesn't seem normal. I would store in a safe place justin case.

Maybe fermentation wasn't complete? Kicked something up when you bottled? Or the priming sugar didn't mix well? Those are my there guesses.

It might just have head without being carbonated. Beer can have head without being carbonated.

Pour the beer in a clear glass and look carefully - are there bubbles rising off of little imperfections in the glass? (Duvel tulips and Sam Adams glasses are good for this because they have nucleation sites on the bottoms.) Does it feel bubbly on your tongue?

Everything I brew with Wyeast 3944 (Belgian Wit) seems to do this for me as well. Beers carb up, not just head, in about 4-5 days at most.

It might just have head without being carbonated. Beer can have head without being carbonated.

Pour the beer in a clear glass and look carefully - are there bubbles rising off of little imperfections in the glass? (Duvel tulips and Sam Adams glasses are good for this because they have nucleation sites on the bottoms.) Does it feel bubbly on your tongue?

Probably this. I've seen Revvy refer to this as "n00b carb." There's CO2 in there, but it hasn't even come close to being fully reabsorbed into the liquid, so when you pour it all rushes out quickly and firms a nice, thick head on top of the beer - but if you taste it, it's flat.

Everything I brew with Wyeast 3944 (Belgian Wit) seems to do this for me as well. Beers carb up, not just head, in about 4-5 days at most.

MMMMM that reminds me I have a grapefruit wheat that was brewed with 3944 that has been bottled for about a week and a half. I usually wait but I might have to stick one in the fridge to do a taste test. All in the name of science.

Probably this. I've seen Revvy refer to this as "n00b carb." There's CO2 in there, but it hasn't even come close to being fully reabsorbed into the liquid, so when you pour it all rushes out quickly and firms a nice, thick head on top of the beer - but if you taste it, it's flat.

I think definitely this. 48 hours just isn't enough time for the CO2 to be pushed down. A tall head on the beer isn't necessarily a good indication of full carbonation.

The only infection I ever had reacted exactly that way. I had been lazy about cleaning bottles and something was in them. 7 bottles out of the batch carbed up in 2 or 3 days while the rest took about 3 weeks. I'm not really sure what kind of infection it was, but within a week of the first 7 bottles being carbed it was like opening bottles of alcoholic cat urine strained through barn floor hay even though at first they tasted exactly like the ESB they were supposed to be.

If you tilt the bottles before opening them is there a ring around the neck at all?

I bet what you have is called "false" or noob carb- the co2 is not fully locked in yet. So when you opened another one, you got a bigger sense of what's truly going on.

The co2 hasn't been fully produced yet, let alone gone into solution.

Watch poindexter's video in there for an idea of carbonation development over time.

You'll see what you are experiencing is what he shows in the first couple beers he opens. But your carbonation isn't truly locked in yet.

What you experienced is simply what he shows in the first week's openning,.

Come back in about 2-3 more weeks and you'll see what true carbonation is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back