Beer has a strong acholo smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is my beer bad?

How does it taste? How far along are you in the brewing process? Still in primary? How long? Bottled yet? What style beer? :confused:

Since alcohol is one of the main characteristics of beer, I would say that an alcohol smell is an indication that your beer is good, not bad... Really need more information to tell for sure, though.

Are you smelling the fermenter? Are you sure it's not the CO2? Often the layer of CO2 on the beer can be very pungent.

Already bottled it.. Sat in the primary for two weeks, sat in secondary for two weeks.. Bottled today. Just got done

Made a giant noob mistake.. I thought that I put it in the primary 3-12-2012. My girlfriend just told me that I put it in there 3-19-2012.. Now I'm worried about bottle bombs. Since I only did the brew TEN days ago.. I can't believe I rushed it that fast. Do I need to worry about bottle bombs? Or just let them mellow in the bottles for a couple of weeks? Any help would be great. Or do I just pop them all open and pour the. Down the drain?

The last one I took was about an hour ago it read 1.010 or 1.012. Somewhere in that range. The FG for the beer was 1.012 to 1.015

The last one I took was about an hour ago it read 1.010 or 1.012. Somewhere in that range. The FG for the beer was 1.012 to 1.015

Usually a strong alcohol smell is caused by only a couple of things- one is high alcohol (duh, I guess :D). But in a beer that doesn't have a high alcohol content, the main cause is a too high fermentation temperature sometimes caused by pitching the yeast too warm and not fermenting at a low enough temperature. Higher temperature fermentations cause these higher alcohols, called fusels, that smell strongly of alcohol and can cause headaches. They have a solvent-like flavor sometimes. It can be harsh and hot tasting.

Made a giant noob mistake.. I thought that I put it in the primary 3-12-2012. My girlfriend just told me that I put it in there 3-19-2012.. Now I'm worried about bottle bombs. Since I only did the brew TEN days ago.. I can't believe I rushed it that fast. Do I need to worry about bottle bombs? Or just let them mellow in the bottles for a couple of weeks? Any help would be great. Or do I just pop them all open and pour the. Down the drain?

If they are at 1.012, you'll be ok with bottling.

So.... Does that mean my first batch is screwed? Or should I just let them mellow out in the bottles?

i'd let them mellow, do 2 weeks minimum in bottles @ room temp and then 2 weeks in the fridge.

I recently did a chocolate milk stout that smelled like rubbing alcohol to me after the first week, but really came around during weeks 2 and 3 and now it's perfect.

Try a beer every week and you'll taste the progress.

Just went through this with a Dark Ale. Before I bottled sampled the brew. Smelled like alcohol and tasted like sake, not what I was looking for. Panic set in. 2 weeks later, popped a top and 100% better. Going to turn out most awesome. Give it time.

Cool deal. Thanks. So, I know this a noob question. But, I don't need to worry about bottle bombs then?

Don't give up for a long time.

Often there is a very big difference between bottling and conditioned. Keep the bottles about 70 degrees for 3 weeks then put one in the fridge for a day or two. Then try it. If it has carbonation and tastes good you can go. If it is not carbed or doesn't taste good try one in a week. etc. Keep it up for a long time, maybe up to a year before you give up.

In the mean time brew more. You'll be surprised how fast they will disappear.
Plus, variety is the spice of life.

Cool deal. Thanks. So, I know this a noob question. But, I don't need to worry about bottle bombs then?

At 1.012 you are unlikely to have a problem with a normal recipe.

You did not add a lot of table sugar did you? With a lot of sugar (people who want to increase ABV) it might want to end a lot lower than 1.012. Then a problem,

True my friend. So true. Getting ready to start my second batch tomorrow or Sunday LoL.. An American Cream Ale

What temperature did you ferment this at? What was your OG? What was your recipe?

Latest posts

Back