Beer clearing time table

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griff777

Reaction score
I have been battling chill haze. Bought a .5 micron filter and still get haze in filtered beer. I have great hot/cold breaks, chill quickly, etc.

The last thing to try was cold crashing. Put the secondary carboy in fridge for a few days, still looked hazy. Put the carboy on the counter in the garage and now I am noticing crystal clear beer at the top, and slowly clearing on the way down.

My beers are clear down to about 50 degrees, but any colder I get the dreaded haze. Since I started brewing again at Christmas, and have done maybe 15 batches, I am wondering if I just need to allow more time in "bright tank" Tonite I opened an IPA that had a couple months in the bottle and it seemed brighter than normal. Unfortunately, it was one of only two left of that batch.

When cold crashing, is it best to leave cold for extended period, or do it a few days, then remove and WAIT. LOL hard to not drink it up too quickly.

Griff777 said:
Tonite I opened an IPA that had a couple months in the bottle and it seemed brighter than normal.

Dry hopped beers should hazy. And IPAs should be consumed quickly.

...woah, 15 batches!?! Awesome.

Dry hopped beers should hazy. And IPAs should be consumed quickly.

...woah, 15 batches!?! Awesome.

I tend to "overdo" things. Used to home brew with two five gallon buckets, one drilled as a false bottom and step mashing on the stove. Now with infusion single temp mashing and a eight gallon stainless pot, it's about five hours a batch. I wanted to get my pipeline going so I could be well stocked for summer parties. This weekend, will do a 22 lb mash and end up with two boils, that should save some time.

Back