Beer Can Chicken Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
How many of you have experimented with different styles of beers for Beer Can Chicken?

My office mate is entering a BBQ contest this weekend and he bought these beers:
  1. Sam Adams Boston Ale
  2. Stella Artois
  3. Becks,
  4. Pyramid Apricot Ale
  5. Honey Brown
  6. Great Divide Wild Raspberry Ale

He is going to use the fruit beers, but was curious if he should do the Beck's/Stella styles or the maltier ales.

Any experience with this?

I don't think the type of beer makes a very large difference. Although I have always wanted to try beer can chicken with a maple beer. The beer was gross to drink (too much maple) but thought it would give some small flavor to the chicken.

If you are putting beer in a chicken's ass, I don't think the the chicken cares too much what kind of beer it is.

I don't think the taste buds are really going to care either. Beer butt chicken is good because it is moist. it has little to do with the beer IMO

If you are putting beer in a chicken's ass, I don't think the the chicken cares too much what kind of beer it is.

I don't think the taste buds are really going to care either. Beer butt chicken is good because it is moist. it has little to do with the beer IMO

LOL!

That is what we are thinking as well, but he will be doing butter injections which he could mix with some of the beer.

Thanks for the quick replies on this. We are just discussing some of the options.

I offered him some hops to mix into his sauce. I figured it would add some nice flavor, but he declined. He is chicken :D

I offered him some hops to mix into his sauce. I figured it would add some nice flavor, but he declined. He is chicken :D

Yeah that would be beyond gross, if you have ever over reduced a sauce made with a hoppy beer you know what I'm saying. I have used several different styles of beer with beer can chicken and you dont get the flavor of the beer in the chicken its just to help keep it moist.

Yeah that would be beyond gross, if you have ever over reduced a sauce made with a hoppy beer you know what I'm saying. I have used several different styles of beer with beer can chicken and you dont get the flavor of the beer in the chicken its just to help keep it moist.

I have never done an IPA reduction sauce. good to know your experience with it.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the different styles. We figured it would just add moisture, but I wasn't sure how much of the aromas or flavors would carry through. Good to know someone on here has done some experimenting.

I have used beer in many different kinds of cooking and baking. The only applications I have ever seen benefit from a ale is braised or slow-cooking beef or game meats.

In general, I only use plain American Lager type beers in BBQ unless it is an ale-based BBQ sauce. The lager will give a tangy flavor while an ale and particularly a hoppy ale will impart some bitterness.

I have used beer in many different kinds of cooking and baking. The only applications I have ever seen benefit from a ale is braised or slow-cooking beef or game meats.

In general, I only use plain American Lager type beers in BBQ unless it is an ale-based BBQ sauce. The lager will give a tangy flavor while an ale and particularly a hoppy ale will impart some bitterness.

I made a smoked beer that worked really well with the crock pot. It had just enough flavor of smoke to make you taste it in the end.

I have tried beer (or Natty Ice, anyway), chicken broth, and water, and to be honest, I didn't notice any difference in the flavor of the chicken.

I do like to shove some spices under the chicken's skin, and I also bought a needle that I can use to inject broth or whatever right into the meat. Have not tried it yet.

I think you can use really any beer with not alot of change in flavor. I like to add a good amount of the outside rub to the beer so that will steam up through the chicken.

i did a chicken last summer and the only can i had was an old chub... it wasn't so good. BMC works pretty well for this purpose.

Back