Beer and guns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure you'd be ok with the unloaded guns in the truck cab, provided there's NO ammo in there too. IF you're also transporting ammo, put that in a secure box either in the cab (locked away) or in the truck bed.

Back when I lived in FL, it wasn't difficult to get a concealed carry license. Just needed to fit the parameters, do the forms, and then wait. I'm planning on going for mine (in NH) after the new year.

Checked up on the laws for NH... concealed carry license is $10 for residents. :ban:

NH license is good in many states including VT. NOT MA, ME, or NY.

IF you're also transporting ammo, put that in a secure box either in the cab (locked away) or in the truck bed.

And the loose stuff in tin cans(ammo), not sure what they are, they don't look like anything labeled in boxes... should I be worried if I bring them to a shop to look at? That it may or may not be legal? Do I get a free pass for being ignorant, probably not. I'll just transport them separately to be safe, worth the extra trip. Once again, thanks and sorry if I ask a stupid question, so much to learn, so little time left. According to my grandfather, world as we know it is coming to an end this month, a couple weeks, get ready. LOL, I highly doubt his fears were valid, and always told him, since I'm female I don't need a gun to get what I want or need.... He never liked me saying that. But, they are nice to have, you can kill something, then eat it if you're strapped for cash to get to the grocery store.

And the loose stuff in tin cans(ammo), not sure what they are, they don't look like anything labeled in boxes... should I be worried if I bring them to a shop to look at? That it may or may not be legal? Do I get a free pass for being ignorant, probably not. I'll just transport them separately to be safe, worth the extra trip. Once again, thanks and sorry if I ask a stupid question, so much to learn, so little time left. According to my grandfather, world as we know it is coming to an end this month, a couple weeks, get ready. LOL, I highly doubt his fears were valid, and always told him, since I'm female I don't need a gun to get what I want or need.... He never liked me saying that. But, they are nice to have, you can kill something, then eat it if you're strapped for cash to get to the grocery store.

Or when the grocery stores go the way of the rest of the world (when it ends) you can go hunting. Provided, of course, you have a firearm that's suitable for the job.

IMO, everyone should at least know gun safety.

I picked up a decent shape Miroku 500 side-by-side 12ga this week from a co-worker for $200. From what I'm finding online and hearing from my cousin, I stole it. Anyone know about this brand?

Miroku makes the Citori's for Browning. I believe all Browning long guns are made by Miroku or FN.
It should be a well made gun and the barrels well regulated. I believe they were made for a brief period in the 80's. Does it have choke tubes? Parts might hard to track down for it but I think that's somewhat standard for most doubles.

Should be a solid working double not a wall hanger. Have the chamber length checked if it's not stamped on the gun.

Your right to bear arms parlays to the obligation to defend others from evil.

NH license is good in many states including VT. NOT MA, ME, or NY.

FWIW

THE FOLLOWING STATES HONOR A CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT FROM NH

AK
AL
AR
AZ
GA
IA
ID
IN
KY
LA
MO
MS
NC
ND
PA
SD
TN
UT
VT
WY
============

THE FOLLOWING STATES HONOR A NH PERMIT (ONLY IF THE PERMIT HOLDER IS A NH RESIDENT)

CO
FL
MI

bosco

I guess a car trunk or tool box on a truck would count as "securely encased"?

Thanks, yeah, made me dizzy reading it. I'm not ready to run out and take them anywhere today, but good to know. Will keep researching, thanks guys.

Since you said they were your grandfathers im assuming worl war one and two guns? maybe some comercail guns from that time frame?

I actually collect ww2 rifles and hand guns

Now for the ammo, it should be good in the trunk, just put it in a container dont let it roll around loose.
If you dont know what it is and want a gunshop to tell you take it in a container and ,please dont open it in the store, let a store worker do that. rounds in hand at a gun counter makes employees very nervous

Keep the ammo separate in the vehicle and you will be fine, no need for a second trip.

Okay, just making sure I understand, I only want to get the collection checked out, not looking for a felony charge!

Pretty sure you'd be ok with the unloaded guns in the truck cab, provided there's NO ammo in there too. IF you're also transporting ammo, put that in a secure box either in the cab (locked away) or in the truck bed.

Back when I lived in FL, it wasn't difficult to get a concealed carry license. Just needed to fit the parameters, do the forms, and then wait. I'm planning on going for mine (in NH) after the new year.

Checked up on the laws for NH... concealed carry license is $10 for residents. :ban:

So jealous, here in ohio we have to take the class which costs [but more and more pd's and sheriffs depts are offering it free] then pay almost 90 bucks in backround check fees

Erased my last message because apparently I am wrong about that, laws change... Maybe Florida is requiring classes now for a concealed permit.

Erased my last message because apparently I am wrong about that, laws change... Maybe Florida is requiring classes now for a concealed permit.

They have for a few years. I think the course requirements (whether taken in Florida or another State) are located on the States Website.

bosco

Since you said they were your grandfathers im assuming worl war one and two guns? maybe some comercail guns from that time frame?

I actually collect ww2 rifles and hand guns

Now for the ammo, it should be good in the trunk, just put it in a container dont let it roll around loose.
If you dont know what it is and want a gunshop to tell you take it in a container and ,please dont open it in the store, let a store worker do that. rounds in hand at a gun counter makes employees very nervous

Hi, just noticed your post. He was a sharpshooter in World War 2. He has a purple heart for valor. And, all types of other awards. All basic looking guns from the era, and a few newer looking ones. The gun that must have been his prized possession is inside a locked case and you need 2 keys. one on each side to get it open. Haven't found the keys yet to look. I might let a shop open it for me and we'll be surprised together. I'll probably ask them to just come out to the truck and take a look at it all, carry it inside themselves, if they want to. I can just imagine how nervous I would make them otherwise! I doubt I'll sell, not to them. because I know they will be worth way more to me!

So jealous, here in ohio we have to take the class which costs [but more and more pd's and sheriffs depts are offering it free] then pay almost 90 bucks in backround check fees

Try living in NY. My CCW permit cost an arm and a leg. $65 for the class, $105 for fingerprints, $20 application fee, $20 in notary fees and $10 for your first permit, and $5 every time you add a pistol. Took over a year to get, and had to be cleared by a judge to carry unrestricted. Pricey and a long process but it was worth it to be able to carry while working in the less desirable parts of town.

Hi, just noticed your post. He was a sharpshooter in World War 2. He has a purple heart for valor. And, all types of other awards. All basic looking guns from the era, and a few newer looking ones. The gun that must have been his prized possession is inside a locked case and you need 2 keys. one on each side to get it open. Haven't found the keys yet to look. I might let a shop open it for me and we'll be surprised together. I'll probably ask them to just come out to the truck and take a look at it all, carry it inside themselves, if they want to. I can just imagine how nervous I would make them otherwise! I doubt I'll sell, not to them. because I know they will be worth way more to me!

I've been buying and selling handguns, rifles and shotguns most of my life. I can't imagine doing that without bringing them into and out of gunstores.
It is a GUN store and unless it's a chain type place like Bass or Dicks there are people carrying in rifles and handguns all the time. It's the businees they are in.

I wouldn't walk in carrying a pistol or rifle that was not in a case or box (or loaded) unless it was my concealed weapon and in that case it would be CONCEALED.. Cheap fabric pistol gloves would be a good way to transport the pistols.. DO not store them in the gloves or anywhere that is not dry.

If you have live ammunition and think it has a value (not that common unless your relative was into cartridge collecting) carrying it into a store should cause NO problem at all. Whether it's in a shoebox or a plastic bag it is after all just loaded ammunition and unless you drive a point into the primer with enough force to put a serious dent in it nothing will happen. I buy ammo from several reloaders and it is shipped in plastic bags 100-500 rounds per bag. The box is usually pretty heavy and by the time it gets here (UPS) the cardboard box looks like IT went through WW2.

As far as the locked box goes, if you carried it into a store it would be obvious that it is a long gun. Unless you have verified it is unloaded inform them of that before THEY open it.

A double locked (is it wood, metal ot leather?) box indicates value and I again warn you not to take anything for them unless you have checked it out first. Look for any markings or trademarks on the boxes..

Bosco

The gun in the case most likely is his hunting rifle or a war capture... I have had the pleasure of picking 3 war captures from 3 vets who captured them. 2 told me there stories and how they captured it. It was both chilling and beautiful at the same time.Sadly all three are no longer with us.

A shop most likely wont open a locked case for you. Liability wouldnt let them. They dont know if its stolen, booby tapped, or what have you. If i were you i wold just call a local sportsmens club or shooting range and ask if they know any collectors of ww2 era weapons and is you could bring them to them to take a look at them. Let them know one is in a case that you cant get open and they will help. Collectors genreally give you a fair value and respect the guns and what they mean to you more.

However old dosnt mean valuable, most guns of the era fall into the $100-300 range. They were made by the tens of thousands to arm some of the largest armies the world has ever seen. That dosnt mean they werent important to you grandfather as collectors tend to fall in love with guns. One of my personal favored guns is only worth 100 retail, but I love it and wouldnt sell it for 1000.
Do you know is he fought in the pacific or the european conflicts?

I knew about that when I was moving to MA, from FL back towards the end of 1996. So, I had a shooting buddy (also a gunsmith and certified instructor) set me up with the class certificate. :rockin: He already knew I knew/know gun safety, AND could shoot well. No issue with using that to get my first carry permit in MA either. So very glas that I won't need to deal with that anymore. I might get the license/permit to transport into MA later. Might try to do that for Maine too. That way I won't have any issues if I want to go to a range in either of those states.

I'm moving from CA to MA in the spring. I have a CA roster handgun I'll be taking with me.
Do I need to do anything ahead of time to comply with MA laws?

I'm moving from CA to MA in the spring. I have a CA roster handgun I'll be taking with me.

Probably need to get it shipped from a licensed gun dealer in CA to another matching dealer in MA. PITA, if you ask me, but I believe that's the law. Check to see if your local gun shop knows for certain.

If I could post pics I would. But just seeing all of the differences between state gun laws makes me chuckle. Here in AZ you don't even need a permit for CC anymore. Barring any major crime raps you can walk into a gun store, fill out paperwork and purchase a firearm and ammunition within 30 minutes, then tuck your new piece in your waistbelt under your t-shirt and go about your day with complete impunity. The only thing we "need" permit-wise is for class III weapons, and we have more than a few class III weapons dealers in the state. Can you say "Platform weapons"? Ever find the urge to purchase a 30-caliber water-cooled support weapon with a tripod base? I'm sure if you had the cash you could buy a quad-canon mounted on a half-track in this state with the proper paperwork. If you don't believe me check out the Scottsdale Gun Club website, those boys have some EXPENSIVE toys. The laws do tend to breed a certain kind of lunatic though. I own a pretty modest amount of firearms (only 5 ;) ) in comparison to most people I know.

EDIT: SOme other fun stuff that happens in AZ

Last edited by a moderator:
The more you guys tell me, the more research I want to do before I bring them to anyone, and know what to do.

most guns of the era fall into the $100-300 range
I already looked up the easiest ones to find info on and that's about right.

A shop most likely wont open a locked case for you.

A double locked (is it wood, metal or leather?) box indicates value and I again warn you not to take anything for them unless you have checked it out first. Look for any markings or trademarks on the boxes..

It's a large metal box, brass hinges, the outside covering is leather and there is brass decorative trim adhering the leather to the underlying metal, also some sort of sewing around the edges, I guess just attaching the leather to the brass colored metal. Probably something like stainless steel under the leather, not sure, can't see that but is feels heavy, like made of something good and solid. I don't see any markings on the box, google images gave me nothing either. The lock/keyholes are made of that same brass looking metal, one on each end of the box. When I find the keys that belong to it, I'm sure l'll know, I imagine they are 2 small brass keys. Now, don't get me so curious that I break it open! I will wait to find the keys, if I can!!! Oh, and he fought in the Pacific, someone had asked that earlier.

Several issues that are problematic in your case.

I think MA requires a firearms ID card for possession.
Probably a residency (time) requirement before you can get one.
Certain townships have their own restrictions
( TO BE SURE OF THE ABOVE CONTACT THE MA STATE POLICE)

Getting the handgun to MA.
Flying not a problem if you are legal to possess in MA.
Transport by car not a problem if you are legal to possess in MA.

If you cannot legally own a handgun in MA until you get a firearms ID you will have to have it sent from one FFL dealer in CA to one in MA that will hold it for you until you get the proper ID.

Good luck and check with the MA police first.

bosco

It's a large metal box, brass hinges, the outside covering is leather and there is brass decorative trim adhering the leather to the underlying metal, also some sort of sewing around the edges, I guess just attaching the leather to the brass colored metal. Probably something like stainless steel under the leather, not sure, can't see that but is feels heavy, like made of something good and solid. I don't see any markings on the box, google images gave me nothing either. The lock/keyholes are made of that same brass looking metal, one on each end of the box. When I find the keys that belong to it, I'm sure l'll know, I imagine they are 2 small brass keys. Now, don't get me so curious that I break it open! I will wait to find the keys, if I can!!!

Good luck and good fortune. Proceed slowly and if you can't find the keys, a locksmith ( or just about anyone with a few small tools ) could pick the lock in 20 seconds. Remember if a locksmith opens it for you there is no obligation on your part to expose the contents to him.

bosco

Let's see if I can show you guys a picture,

Not the gun from the brass and leather case, different one. At the bottom of the pic I thought for a sec those were the brass keys, but they are fake brass, not like real brass keys with perfectly rounded top piece, that's what I have my eye out for.

gunpics307.jpg

I shoulda refocused the camera so you could see the keg right above the gun in the pic, woulda went so well under the topic "beer and guns".

If he fought in the pacific you may luck out and have some arisakas. They can be higher in value than the german mausers as they are rarer.

The case sounds like he spent a few bucks on it but lacking a makers mark, it would normally not be too valuable. Most cases like that us a truning latch that can be pushed of its shelf just simly by using a flathead screwdriver and pupushing on the latch. I have done it before when I lost my keys to a homemade wodden box.
Barring that those locks are easy enought to pick with a bobby pin and small screwdriver, I lose my keeys to my firesafe atleast 3 times a year and have to do it.

makers mark

Okay, there is a letter "H", looks like should have been 3 brass colored letters but both ends fell off, leaving only the brass colored initiial "H" in the middle. Probably means what... something-H-something, now I'm getting very curious what's inside the case, but probably nothing very valuable, only to me!

easy enought to pick with a bobby pin and small screwdriver
That's like cheating.

It could be his initials?

It might be a high end shotgun. High dollar trap and skeet shotguns come in cases like that.

Could be something crazy. But it could be a sweet old superposed or 101.

The pistol looks like a Ruger Old Army cap and ball revolver with adjustable sights.

Here is a link that will give you the year of manufacture:

http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-OABP.html

It looks to be well used, but it might be worth a few bucks..

Hope that helps solve one of the many puzzles you have..LOL

bosco

ps. The above link also has a link in it that brings up the owners manual for the revolver.

If he fought in the pacific you may luck out and have some arisakas. They can be higher in value than the german mausers as they are rarer.

These are worth more than Mausers, but not by much. Worth more if they still have the Sun engraved and not ground off. 7,7 is a nice rifle and rarer than the 6,5. Took my first buck with a sporterized 7,7.

Depending on the box, as described I'm leaning towards a Trap Gun. Which if is the case, is a nice heirloom probably.

And as others have said, I'd have already picked that lock.

I'd have already picked that lock.

Why are you trying to tempt me, the keys will turn up! My granddad always said "Look, don't overlook". A man of few words, unlike me in that aspect. Or you won't be able to see the forest through the trees! Really though, I don't want to accidentally break the locks on the case. Apparently he cared about the case as well as what's inside it. I'd probably try to fix his initials before I'd take a chance on breaking the locks. Looks like pyroengraved black letters on brass, or a brass colored metal. A woodburner and some "brass" that color, I can put the "W"and the "C" back on it.

I already grow my own fruits and veggies, so learn how to care for and use these guns, more meat to go with it. We have lots of deer, wild turkeys, ducks, he was always after the ever elusive coyote. Right now, all I shoot and eat is squirrels with my little 22 caliber riflle. Because otherwise they get into the wiring and insulation. Last spring I accidentally killed a mama, usually I can tell the pregnant ones, and just had baby ones(they don't play around, they run around with a purpose and usually their hair-fur- looks a little frazzled), but I found her nest and raised 2 of the 3 babies myself, lost one. The 2 I raised come around still, come around and nearly eat acorns out of my hands. They don't realize I only raised them so I could eat them later, they are both males, the poor little female baby didn't make it but these 2 young males have plenty of females to choose from for a mate. After they mate once or twice, I'm going to eat them, or feed them to my dog.

The pistol looks like a Ruger Old Army cap and ball revolver with adjustable sights.

It looks to be well used

Thanks! Yes, all his guns look well used, that made me think they are older then they actually are. He would say "I broke 'em in for ya". Sorry to take over the conversation, I'll let you guys get back to talking about beer and guns now...

After they mate once or twice, I'm going to eat them, or feed them to my dog.
Oops, sorry, sounds really bad reading that back to myself, sorry guys.

Let's see if I can show you guys a picture,

Not the gun from the brass and leather case, different one. At the bottom of the pic I thought for a sec those were the brass keys, but they are fake brass, not like real brass keys with perfectly rounded top piece, that's what I have my eye out for.

Ruger started making these in the 70s, if indeed it is a Ruger.

Thanks! Yes, all his guns look well used, that made me think they are older then they actually are.

What ever you do, DON'T try to restore them without first getting appraisals. Some thing, like old guns and old furniture, are often worth considerably more to collectors in their old, crappy looking state than if you try to "fix them" by polishing'em up all shiny like and such.

Several issues that are problematic in your case.

I think MA requires a firearms ID card for possession.
Probably a residency (time) requirement before you can get one.
Certain townships have their own restrictions
( TO BE SURE OF THE ABOVE CONTACT THE MA STATE POLICE)

Getting the handgun to MA.
Flying not a problem if you are legal to possess in MA.
Transport by car not a problem if you are legal to possess in MA.

If you cannot legally own a handgun in MA until you get a firearms ID you will have to have it sent from one FFL dealer in CA to one in MA that will hold it for you until you get the proper ID.

Good luck and check with the MA police first.

bosco

I just knew it would be something fun like that. I was born and raised in MA, but have been out in CA for the last 6 years. I've never owned a firearm in MA, so never been through their process, but I do seem to recall something about needing an FID card. From what I remember, it's even required for air rifles.
Eventually I'd like to settle in NH. Much friendlier to gun owners. (I've lived there too)

I just knew it would be something fun like that. I was born and raised in MA, but have been out in CA for the last 6 years. I've never owned a firearm in MA, so never been through their process, but I do seem to recall something about needing an FID card. From what I remember, it's even required for air rifles.
Eventually I'd like to settle in NH. Much friendlier to gun owners. (I've lived there too)

Depending on where in MA you plan to live, it can either be a royal PITA to get the card/permit or pretty easy... Was easy for me, but my mother had the LEO in charge of that in the town be a d!ck to her about it. Some BS about needing a psych eval before they would even give her the FID...

Depending on where in MA you plan to live, it can either be a royal PITA to get the card/permit or pretty easy... Was easy for me, but my mother had the LEO in charge of that in the town be a d!ck to her about it. Some BS about needing a psych eval before they would even give her the FID...

Now that sounds like the MA I know.

Here's a little snippet from a GOAL doccument regarding residential license to Carry.

"Because the law does not forbid the licensing authority from asking for extra items, applicants in some towns are asked to provide any of the following items: utility bills to prove residency, birth certificate to prove citizen-ship, letters of reference, a note from a doctor, or a letter documenting the reason for the License application. "

So it seems they can probably find a way to deny you pretty easily if they decide they just don't like you. Of course this can be appealed, but it seems like the spirit of laws like this is to discourage applicants. I'm sure that many just give up after spending all the time and $200 just for the privilege of applying.
It's $100 for the application, $100 for the required 4 hr. safety course, and they may also charge you seperately for fingerprints and photographing.

There are several classes of license. The most basic only applies to pepper spray. The next level of FID card allows you to purchase and posess ammo and non high capacity shotguns and rifles, no Handguns. Class B carry allows you to purchase/own rifles shotguns and non high cap handguns. You may also transport, but must be unloaded and locked away. Class A, I imagine is probably for LEO's only. It allows high cap guns and loaded transport.

Back