Beer and guns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mikescooling said:
I have the IL CCW course coming up, I thought I'd get some nice new 45acp rounds for it. They want 27$ a box of 50 for reloads at Bass pro shops. AND their is a limit as to how much I can buy. WTF!! I have Whinchester Ranger SXT boxes of 50, I paid 13 bucks for, several years ago. I have to start looking for the boxes that my casting and reloading stuff are in. dam

Even reloading is getting pretty pricey with the cost of the bullets. I live near enough to rainier ballistics and they sell out the door if the order is large enough so we occasionally get a group buy to save some money. Great for range ammo loads.

Reloading 300 Blackout cost really depends on where you get the projectiles from. We got some 'pulls' that were decently priced. I found some for less though. Still, even with the higher priced projectiles, we were at about 30 cents a round.

If you want better costs on mat's, shop around. If you want better prices on factory ammo, shop around. Also look at Freedom Munitions for ammo. Xtreme Bullets for projectiles.

Oh, and I re-anodized the lower for my 300 Blackout pistol last night... Decided to use the black dye on it this time.

Just the lower:
re-anodized_300_blackout_pistol_lower_1.jpg

Full assembled:
300_Blackout_pistol_completed_final_4posting.jpg

I also wrapped the buffer tube with some paracord. Mostly just so to have something between my cheek and the metal of the buffer tube when shooting it.

Golddiggie, thanks for pointing out Xtreme Bullets. I'm probably going to pick up a bunch of their .45 bullets for shooting out of my new muzzleloader with sabots.

I used to get their stuff (.452" OD 255gr jacketed) when shooting IPSC back in the 90's. They had a different name, but same products. Planning to get some boxes of their stuff as soon as I can.

Very close. Chinese type 53. You should pick one up now(type53). Price is starting to creep up on them. The m44s are just too high in price. You just gotta make sure you don't have a sewage barrel. Mine is slightly pitted. Working on that now. Over all the gun is in quite good shape. All matching numbers except the bolt. But that is to be expected.

Nice, I couldn't get a good look on my phone. The m44's are only about 200. I love these old surplus rifles.

Adding more gun stuff to my truck... Just ordered this:

new_antenna.jpg

It's to replace the antenna on my truck. I've been running a short antenna for a while (in tacticool black). Saw this and just HAD to order it. I also might reproduce it on my lathe, so I have something to change it with. Or if someone from the PRM decides they don't like it and removes it (will be using Loktite on the threads).

For reference, it's just over 2-1/2" long...

Just got back from a day of clay shooting. I wish rifle rounds weren't so expensive here, but god damn.... it never ceases to amaze me how fun shotgun shooting is. Never fails.

My newest additions to the collection:

1981 Ruger MK-I, 1 of only 5,000 stainless MK-I's produced. Came with the original display case.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388292416.066938.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388292509.470778.jpg

My new carry gun, Kahr CM-9. Replaces a KelTec PF9 that I recently sold. By far the best shooting "pocket 9" I have found.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388292634.467312.jpg

And finally a S&W 638 that I gave my sister for graduation/Christmas. Thinking about getting one of these for myself. Not too fun on the range, but it conceals very well in light clothing. Less power than my Kahr, but still much more potent than a .380 or .32, which are about the same size/weight.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388292828.557723.jpg

Sort of on topic but not really, I called hubby and said, screamed really, I can't get the bullet to come out!!!! He asked, what is happening, what's wrong? I said, the bullet won't come out when I pull the trigger!!!!! Help!!!! Your big gun, the buck shot, the bullet won't come out!!!! I was face-to-face with a wild animal that wants to eat me and nothing happens when I pull the trigger!! So hubby tells me quickly how to turn the safety off, before he even knew what I was shooting at, I think that is love. I'd show a picture of my kill but probably it's illegal if your life was not in danger, I'd call it a perfect kill shot. I live way back in the woods and sometimes a gun is your only protection from predators. Nice buck shot. As soon as I got the safety off, bear was dead. Hubby says he has eaten bear before and it tastes like beef, like a flank steak, I think I'll cook it up in a pot with chick peas and onions, yum.

You have got to show the picture of you and the bear. You can't tell us something like that and not show the picture.

Last time I showed a picture of my kill on here I was asked to remove it because it was not only upsetting, but also illegal. Be quick if you want to see it because I'm going to post it then remove it, it's half skinned now but look by my feet and you'll see the black fur, not a big bear, I'm in Florida so it's just a small black bear, but still it was scary and I felt like my life was in danger when I pulled the trigger. You can see where I shot it in the mangled looking chest area.

To the best of my knowledge, when a bear or any animal enters a dwelling, it becomes a nuisance bear, just like a big squirrel that has made a home in your attic. I bet some neighbor was feeding it. Not the bear's fault, it's the neighbor's. I missed the picture,, O-man

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389665840.042489.jpgmy two new guns. Chinese SKS arsenal 26 all matching and also Chinese type 53. All matching except bolt. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389665914.227292.jpg

Just got two 40 round PMags today (used my Verizon Wireless rebate card to order them)...

300Blk_pistol_40_PMag_sm.jpg

Just to compare... A 20 round, and 30 round magazine next to the pistol...
300Blk_pistol_20_30_40_mags_sm.jpg

Finally picked up a 1911. I've wanted one since before I was legally able to own firearms. I chose Auto Ordnance after a ton of research because it fit my price range and is the closest to the original still in production. I'm hoping to get some rounds through it next week.

The second pic is my 7.62x39 AR. I built it from scratch. For now it is NY compliant so I can hunt with it until the law is tossed or I move. It's an awesome gun to shoot.

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

Finally picked up a 1911. I've wanted one since before I was legally able to own firearms. I chose Auto Ordnance after a ton of research because it fit my price range and is the closest to the original still in production. I'm hoping to get some rounds through it next week.

The second pic is my 7.62x39 AR. I built it from scratch. For now it is NY compliant so I can hunt with it until the law is tossed or I move. It's an awesome gun to shoot.

Its always nice to finally get a gun you have always wanted, I gotta say, I have never been a 1911 guy, although I love them for their history and being as American as apple pie....hmmm, I like that, as American as a 1911.

I saw that someone built a CA compliant AR, had a rifle stock on it. Are you going to coat that stainless barrel? My buddy and I were out hunting a few years back and his bow had a silver idler and cam, I climbed up to the top of a big cedar stump and he slowly worked around a clear cut to push anything. I never saw him walking through the woods with all his camo on; but, I kept seeing the metallic glint of those cams. What are you running for optics?

Nice. A 1911 is next on my my list. A friend of mine just got a 9mm "1911" Kinda looks like an interesting gun, really :mug:

Its always nice to finally get a gun you have always wanted, I gotta say, I have never been a 1911 guy, although I love them for their history and being as American as apple pie....hmmm, I like that, as American as a 1911.

I had wanted a 1911 bad since I was a kid, but for some reason I was about 7 years into gun collecting before I ever even bought one. To me they are just beautiful and I love the history behind them. Finally bought myself one a few years back... and I've taken it to the range all of three times.

It's a beautiful pistol, but I just don't enjoy shooting it. At all. It's like the girl I'm really attracted to, but we have lousy sex together. It doesn't fit my hands well, I don't like the way it balances, and I have trouble shooting it accurately. (For me it's almost like trying to shoot a revolver - I'm LOUSY with revolvers).

Yeah yeah I know, I should just practice with it more... but whenever I go to the range to shoot pistols, I inevitably end up taking my Glock or CZ instead, because I actually enjoy shooting them and I can shoot them well.

I'll probably end up selling it soon. Or maybe I'll just mount it in a nice display case and never touch her... I mean it... again. :p

I had wanted a 1911 bad since I was a kid, but for some reason I was about 7 years into gun collecting before I ever even bought one. To me they are just beautiful and I love the history behind them. Finally bought myself one a few years back... and I've taken it to the range all of three times.

It's a beautiful pistol, but I just don't enjoy shooting it. At all. It's like the girl I'm really attracted to, but we have lousy sex together. It doesn't fit my hands well, I don't like the way it balances, and I have trouble shooting it accurately. (For me it's almost like trying to shoot a revolver - I'm LOUSY with revolvers).

Yeah yeah I know, I should just practice with it more... but whenever I go to the range to shoot pistols, I inevitably end up taking my Glock or CZ instead, because I actually enjoy shooting them and I can shoot them well.

I'll probably end up selling it soon. Or maybe I'll just mount it in a nice display case and never touch her... I mean it... again. :p

That is actually really common, I think it is the angle of the grip and if you came up shooting a non-1911 it just doesn't sit right. I'm the same way with plastic guns, I can shoot solidly with my Glock; but, prefer the balance of metal guns so I carry a compact CZ...I would prefer a Sig, but my wife bought it for me as a wedding present and we didn't have the money for a Sig back then and I have no need for another handgun now. I have the guns I want and a nice reloading setup so my play money goes to brewing now-a-days.

My duty weapon is a S&W 5946 with the straight grips. It's wider because it's double-stacked, but the fit and feel is far more similar to the 1911 than the Glock. I've carried a Glock 26 as my off-duty CCW for my whole career. My only complaint is that the increased recoil from the shorter barrel combined with a smaller grip causes it to jump out of my hands with every shot. My S&W is a much smoother shot. Other 1911's I've fired felt very similar to the Smith.

Bensiff, I don't plan on coating the barrel. With the rifle length handgrip, very little protrudes anyway. That scope is one I had hanging around unused. I couldn't get it zeroed that day I took that picture, which happens to be the only time I've fired that rifle. I'm going to pic up a new scope soon. I've been looking at the Cabela's Alaska series, probably 3-9x40. They are getting great reviews.

My duty weapon is a S&W 5946 with the straight grips. It's wider because it's double-stacked, but the fit and feel is far more similar to the 1911 than the Glock. I've carried a Glock 26 as my off-duty CCW for my whole career. My only complaint is that the increased recoil from the shorter barrel combined with a smaller grip causes it to jump out of my hands with every shot. My S&W is a much smoother shot. Other 1911's I've fired felt very similar to the Smith.

Bensiff, I don't plan on coating the barrel. With the rifle length handgrip, very little protrudes anyway. That scope is one I had hanging around unused. I couldn't get it zeroed that day I took that picture, which happens to be the only time I've fired that rifle. I'm going to pic up a new scope soon. I've been looking at the Cabela's Alaska series, probably 3-9x40. They are getting great reviews.

I completely agree with you on the Glock sub compacts, not only is it unyieldly, after a box of 50 rounds it leaves the palm of your hand hurting pretty good where the base of the grip digs in.

I have a Nikon M223 on mine. Obviously with the BDC it wouldn't work for you. But, that monarch glass is impressive and well worth looking into. I have the Nikon P-22 on my 10-22 and even that is excellent glass, I can rapid fire at 200 yards and watch the bullets drop in from the top of the scope's FOV as they find steel. I also have nothing but good things to say about Sightron and Leupold. The glass on my Vortex binoculars is excellent but they are finicky about getting focused which I find annoying when in the field. My only experience with Cabelas is mediocre. But, that wasn't the Alaska series, it was some stock scope that came on my buddies Rem 770, so I imagine a baseline rifle scope package had a pretty low end Cabela's scope.

Come on, pull out a candle and soot that little bit of silver :).

I'm actually planning a rough camo job on the whole rifle but was going to leave the barrel untouched.

And FYI, by "NY Compliant" I didn't mean one of those neutered handgrips or whacked out stocks. It's Pre-SAFE NY Compliant.

I like the new gen 4 glocks, the grips are smaller to start, then you can easily install any one of the 4 back straps that come with the pistol. The back straps will give you thickness and two are beavertail. It's a very good system.

I'm actually planning a rough camo job on the whole rifle but was going to leave the barrel untouched.

And FYI, by "NY Compliant" I didn't mean one of those neutered handgrips or whacked out stocks. It's Pre-SAFE NY Compliant.

I plan to do the same, I already painted up my pellet rifle as a test bed for the process and to get an idea of what it would look like. However I have a co worker that cerakotes so I might go with that. If I remember later I will toss a pick of my pellet rifle up.

Custom Cerakote color applied to a friends AR15 and Smith & Wesson M&P pistol slide... He's happy with it, which is nice. Especially since I mixed the color to their eyes (and have forgotten how much of the two colors was used).

Crimson_AR15_MP_slide_black_buffer_tube.jpg

Oh the good old days of cheap ammo and a decent machine shop to build toys with.

I used to be a Class III dealer, did a lot of reloading and had a bunch of guns. After divorce, a marriage and several moves I have sold off most of everything including the reloading gear. Ammo and components are now expensive, 22lr is hard to find so I have moved my interests to other hobbies (Ham radio, homebrewing, metalworking). Still have a few toys that go bang but with the exception of my carry piece (FNP9) I never seem to get them out for anything other than cleaning a few times a year.

This is what the toybox used to look like.

The old reloading bench

Current carry piece and my favorite Scotch.

Latest posts

Back