Beer and food in same kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiGravShawn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was thinking about boiling up some seafood this weekend, but only have one 60qt kettle right now which is my main brewing kettle. If I try to boil food in it am I going to be able to get out all the flavor and spices or could this potentially cause problems in future beers?

It will be OK if you clean it really well after. It wouldn't be my first choice but I'd use my brew pot if I had nothing else for a one-off event.

I've used mine for spaghetti and boiling cabbage. I think it's more of a problem if the kettle is aluminum.

I've boiled 30 ears of corn in my mash tun twice now but that's not exactly a bunch of old bay. I suspect you'll get the spice out after a good washing.

kettlecorn.jpg

I used to make chili in the same kettle that I would do partial boils in. Never had a problem.

I'm not comfortable doing it, but I've made jambalaya and minestrone soup in mine before. My last few beers have tasted like beer though.

I've boiled 30 ears of corn in my mash tun twice now but that's not exactly a bunch of old bay. I suspect you'll get the spice out after a good washing.

kettlecorn.jpg

OMG. That looks so good. A little butter and salt, and I'm in heaven! Especially if the corn was picked that morning!

kettlecorn.jpg

LMAO. Not that I think there's anything wrong with this, I've just never seen it before. Still LOL.

i would think that as long as you aren't frying you should be ok. trying to get rid of all that oil after frying could be huge PITA.

Back