Adding Wit spices (bitter orange, coriander, chamomile) after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jocky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to make a Belgian Wit soon, and would like to try and really dial in the level of spices, so I get them to a nice level but without being overpowering.

Instead of adding them to the kettle is it possible to instead steeping each them in hot water and then add the resulting tea to the finished beer? Has anyone tried this?

I'm mainly worried if I'll be able to get enough character in that way, and should instead add some of the spices at 5 minutes left in the boil, then try it at the end of fermentation and then adding more if needed?

Experience with this very much needed. Thanks.

One thing to think about when adding tea is the potentially significant amount of dissolved oxygen in the water you're adding. Boiling the water first will help.

My preferred way to add spices is in a hop (spice?) stand: add to the wort after it's cooled to ~160 F, and let it stay there for 10 or 20 minutes. I've sometimes left the spices in (and even transferred them to the fermenter) but lately I've been using a hop spider and removing the spices after the spice stand. I feel this gives me the most control over flavor intensity.

You can make a tea first by using the same spice stand, in order to dial in the right amounts of the ingredients. My experience is that I figure out what will give me the flavor intensity I'm aiming for, and then use half of that when actually making the beer.

I'd suggest making separate tinctures with the orange and coriander so you can add and taste each individually. Cover with vodka and let soak for a couple of weeks, shaking well a couple of times a day. Toast and crack the coriander seeds beforehand for better flavor. I've done this with good results for beer and cider. For the chamomile, I'd boil water per @AlexK then make a strong tea with it.
This method would let you control each ingredient on its own to get the flavors you prefer. Good luck!🍻

You can make a tea first by using the same spice stand, in order to dial in the right amounts of the ingredients. My experience is that I figure out what will give me the flavor intensity I'm aiming for, and then use half of that when actually making the beer.
What's the rationale behind using half the amount when actually making the beer?

What's the rationale behind using half the amount when actually making the beer?
I’ve found that when I do my best to get the exact right amount for a tea, it ends up significantly too strong for the beer when I use the same amount. So I err on the side of less spice, and iterate the beer as needed.

It depends. I just made a gruit with guayusa, ginger, guajillo, and Szechuan peppercorns, and tweaked the ingredients with water. The final beer was perfect as far as the guayusa, vastly too strong on the ginger, and somewhat light on the guajillo and peppercorns.

Have you made this before ? Have you altered your amounts of orange peel and coriander to find the right amount for your taste?

Have you made this before ? Have you altered your amounts of orange peel and coriander to find the right amount for your taste?
Yes I've made it a few times and have adjusted. Gradually homing in on the ideal amounts, but I wondered if there was a better way to fine tune it using tea/tinctures after fermentation.

Back