Apart from ABV, whats the difference between two finished beers with an OG of 1.050 and 1.020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
I want to make some low alcohol beer, right now my only choice for yeast is s04
I don't think a high temp mash will work cause this yeast isn't maltose negative, i think I can lower the og, using less grains, does the one that started with an OG of 1.020 contribute less flavor? What's the difference between the two

Less malt = less flavor. Plain and simple. The one with the lower OG will taste relatively watery and weak.

If you could ferment the one with higher OG to an equivalent FG to give you the same ABV as the other one, it will taste much more malty and potentially sweeter. Like if the 1.020 OG beer finished at 1.005, you will get an entirely different beer from one that uses same or similar grains but goes from 1.050 to 1.035. More malt, more intense flavor.

And you can achieve the latter result using a short hot mash. Try mashing at 74C for just 15 minutes then immediately runoff and bring to the boil.

Less malt = less flavor. Plain and simple. The one with the lower OG will taste relatively watery and weak.

If you could ferment the one with higher OG to an equivalent FG to give you the same ABV as the other one, it will taste much more malty and potentially sweeter. Like if the 1.020 OG beer finished at 1.005, you will get an entirely different beer from one that uses same or similar grains but goes from 1.050 to 1.035. More malt, more intense flavor.

And you can achieve the latter result using a short hot mash. Try mashing at 74C for just 15 minutes then immediately runoff and bring to the boil.
Do I need a maltose negative yeast for that high temp mashing? Like s33
I only have s04

You can also look up tafelbier, table beer, small beer, and probably a few other words. There has been extensive discussion using those terms and how to get flavor and mouthfeel in a very light beer like that.

Maltose negative is not a requirement with a short hot mash.
My bad, maltotroise negative*
Okay
Here's what I'm gonna do, made a recipe on brew father, Vienna malt and a little crystal 60 with an OG of 1.029
Based on brew father, if you mash at 76c, the fg will be 1.019, I'll also add some maltodextrin, the question is, will it be malty? Or watery

I've just done a low(er) abv beer as follows (nominal 12L batch)
500g Vienna
500g Munich
100g CaraMunich3
50g Flaked barley

30min mash @70C followed by 15 min @ 72C

10g Mittelfrueh 40min
20g Mittelfrueh 10min
10g Mittelfrueh 0min

MJ M15 yeast
Came out 1.6% abv

you can tell there's 'something missing' but it's quite drinkable despite the relatively low abv

Last edited:
I've just done a low(er) abv beer as follows (nominal 12L batch)
500g Vienna
500g Munich
100g CaraMunich3
50g Flaked barley

30min mash @70C followed by 15 min @ 72C

10g Mittelfrueh 40min
20g Mittelfrueh 10min
10g Mittelfrueh 0min

MJ M15 yeast
Came out 1.6% abv

you can tell there's 'something missing' but it's quite drinkable despite the relatively low abv
What was the og and fg? What's missing? Alcohol flavor? Did it turn out sweet? Malty?

My bad, maltotroise negative*
Okay
Here's what I'm gonna do, made a recipe on brew father, Vienna malt and a little crystal 60 with an OG of 1.029
Based on brew father, if you mash at 76c, the fg will be 1.019, I'll also add some maltodextrin, the question is, will it be malty? Or watery
Maltotriose — that is what I meant to say as well.

I don’t trust Brewfather’s estimate. I think it will ferment more than that. I don’t believe maltodextrin will be necessary but I could be wrong. I don’t know if anyone can tell you how it will turn out because not too many people are doing this kind of thing.

What was the og and fg? What's missing? Alcohol flavor? Did it turn out sweet? Malty?
1028 to 1016 My notes only say 'could use more hops' though I thought it reasonable balanced otherwise but the lack of abv was definitely noticeable.

Back