Beer aging question - does alcohol heat dissipate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2eng

Reaction score
I just tried a Unita Labyrinth Black Ale. It's a big stout with amazing flavors, but the alcohol burn in the flavor is a bit high.

Will aging help?

It doesn't seem that it would, but I would appreciate anyone's experience here.

Eric

I have this problem with an imperial stout I brewed in summer 09 during a heat wave. the abv ended at 10.8%, and it was HARSH! after a year it's mellowed nicely, but still has a bit of an edge. I'm hoping it will continue mellowing, I'v got about a case left in the closet, I figure it's not doing anyone harm back there, so I'll leave it till it's good, or gone.

Yep, it does mellow. You'll still have the "warmth" of the high ABV, but with some age it'll be smoother and far less "hot".

I made a 14% tannot/merlot wine that was hot for about a year or two, but it mellowed into a fabulous rich wine. Even tannins (from oaking) mellow with age. Unfortunately, by the time the wine was 3 years old and ready to drink there were only about 4 bottles left.

Anyway, it's the same with beer. "Big" beers like barleywines can easily age a year before being ready. A great big RIS might need even longer, due to the high alcohol and all the roasty flavors (which also mellow).

Aging is supposed to help with that to a certain extent. If you have a few, might as well let them age, and try one every 6-12 months, and see what happens.

I used to try aging some, but it seems like gambling. Some might fare well and some might not. I'll still age a few here and there from my own high gravity brews, but my overall conclusion is that if I don't want alcohol burn, I better keep it below 10% ABV.

Thanks all. It's a young beer (bottled 9/10!). The flavor is amazing, but at 13.2% it kicked my @ss! I drank the bottle but moved to Gatorade afterward...

I'll put away one of these $7 750's for 2013... if we survive ;)

Back