Beer 1 week into lagering, has diectyl taste.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dm1217

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a lager. I obviously should have let it ferment in the primary longer (was 9 days) It's been lagering in 35-40F for over a week. Just tasted it and yikes... Orville Redenbacher would be proud.

It's a small batch, and so I was trying not to waste half of it with hydrometer readings.

At this stage, am I at the point of no return on this batch?

9 days, it's probably not fully fermented yet. Bring it up to 60+, do a diacetyl rest for a few days, it may be just fine. Either way, it may help get rid of the diacetyl.

After 9 days, you should have let it come up about 10-12 degrees to d-rest for a few days.

Now that you're lagering, I'm assuming that you racked it off the cake. Not good. Maybe you can still gain something from letting it warm up to the low 60's for a few days.

The conflicting advice floating around about ales is bad enough, but it seems that it's 100x worse for lagers :drunk: Worst case scenario I'll take this as a learning experience and do it right next time.

I have taken to lagering in the primary. It's really the only way I've been able to "consistantly" produce lagers with the quality I am looking for. It took me years to finally figure this out. Even racking after 6 weeks would many times give me average results. Give it a try, I think you will be happy.

If the D-rest doesn't work, you can add another quart or so of actively fermenting (using the same yeast strain) starter beer of similar gravity to your beer and give it a few days at room temp; that should clear up most of it.

Back