Beards, gotta go. Help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDWHAHB

Reaction score
Working at a mine site where the beard has to go.

First off, will my beer be OK? Don't believe I have brewed without one. I heard rumors that there might be a lady brewer or two out there. How do you do it? Do I have to do anything extra so that the beer comes out ok?

Secondly, how does one get rid of a beard. Obviously shaving, but what about the finer points? I don't have a trimmer with me (living on the road) and don't want to buy another for this BS. What kind of razor do I buy? Don't really shave so I don't know much about these things. Gillette?

Any help and condolences is appreciated.

RDWHAHB. :D

and...
Invest in a cheap trimmer - you don't wanna shave without a close trim, first. I like the Gillette Mach series when I'm not cheating with my electric shaver. There's a whole thread somewhere on straight razors and other fancy stuff that I'm sure is more manly than a modern disposable blade, but it's expensive and unnecessary, IMHO.

I say get a new job. There are certain sacrifices a person shouldn't be asked to make.

As for the beer - you might have to start brewing fruit beers from now on. That or chocolate stout.:mug:

I don't have a beard and my beer doesn't su-

Ok, fine. The beard makes a difference.

My advice on cutting the beard is to at least cut it as short as possible with scissors before shaving it, but buying a cheap beard trimmer is a good idea. Also, the beard trimmer doubles as a not-so-close razor in a pinch. I haven't shaved with a razor regularly in 5+ years, so I can't offer any advice on that except that I've read a lot of good things about using an old safety razor. It was enough to make me contemplate shaving my beard just to try it for a while.

You do have my condolences. It's like losing a member of your family. A member of your family who was always keeping your face warm.

The beard trimmer is definitely the way to go. you can get one for under $20. I go from full beard to goatee and I trim it as close as possible, then use a new razor blade to finish the job. Just throw out the razor blade when you're done because it'll be shot after you get the beard off.

Only one job worth shaving a beard for... playing for the New York Yankees.

While I can almost totally agree with this statement. There was one exception....Randy Johnson. His stache killed! The stache made him more intimidating. Was a shame he had to shave it for the Yankees.

If I can't be manly, I'll at least pretend. Bought a safety razor. Need to get some scissors. Going to try and expense this **** to my job.

I heard rumors that there might be a lady brewer or two out there. How do you do it? Do I have to do anything extra so that the beer comes out ok?

Lady brewers go the necessary mile by wearing a merkin on their faces during brew time. You get used to it after a while.

We also have men who use a safety razor. It seems to be a fun thing to do in the morning, but I'm not entirely sure why.

Edit: Sorry if your beer sux now. Maybe your next one can be a Beardless IPA? or Nekkid Stout? Compensating-for-something Double Hopped Red?

Kittyfeet said:
Lady brewers go the necessary mile by wearing a merkin on their faces during brew time. You get used to it after a while.

LMAO, I was thinking about naming a beer "dirty merkin" now I'm convinced.

Kittyfeet said:

Ah, a merkin; that makes sense. Good thinking right there.

Safety razor went well. I like that it doesn't get clogged like the multi blade stuff. I remember cleaning the razor all the time. Few nicks, but not too bad after not shaving for a decade.

Beard net?? Works in the restaurants for sanitary reasons, but it sounds like you are dealing with safety issues

I started growing out a mustache about a year and a half ago. The jury is still out on whether I can pull it off.
Since I work for myself, I tend to go for 3-4 days between shaves, which is a big change from working in banking, where a close shave was a professional necessity (including sometimes shaving AGAIN in the afternoon if I had a late meeting - as stupid as that sounds, it's true)
I go as long as I can, after the first 2 days, it stops itching for a day, but somewhere between day 4 and 6, it gets long enough to start curling, and I have to remove the beard all over again.

A true beard never dies it only changes vessels. Everytime you shave your beard a teenage boy starts puberty. So take solace in knowing that you are helping someone else by doing this (its the only way to justify such an act).

But in all seriousness just get a cheapo trimmer, it is much simpler than hacking away the bulk of it with scissors. I have to get rid of mine everytime I get a hair cut (about once a year) my beard is currently on its way back from last month.

TxBrew said:
Have to wear a respirator?

That's kinda it. The site I'm at has some people wearing respirators. So the client has a rule that everybody has to be ready for for respirators. Nevermind that you actually need a fit test to wear one. I think it's driven by whiny people complaining that others have facial hair. Complete bs.

Is there a locks of love for merkins? If so I could donate. That way the beard lives on.

My expensive beard trimmer crapped out on me a few months back, and when I went to replace it I stumbled onto this cheap (20 bucks) Gillette Fusion Proglide Trimmer/edge/razor.

Honestly it's the best thing I've ever used. The trimmer is really good for such a small thing. And I love the powered wet razor.

gillette.jpg

gillette_fusion_proglide_styler_01.jpg

614370.jpg

It's got a lot of power for something that runs on a single double a.

To de-beard yourself, if you don't wanna spend a lot, drop a 20 and get that. And use it as an electric wet razor if you don't need the trimmer after that.

I shaved my beard when I went to interview for my current job (I thought it looked more professional not to have one), but after a year of not wearing one, I couldn't take it anymore. I grew it back in August and it's here to stay this time!

In my opinion (and in the opinion of many women I've met), the only men who should shave their face are those who can't grow facial hair properly. Shaving a proper beard-growing face is a tragedy!

Sorry for your loss! I humbly suggest one of these to wear while brewing:

beardo-hat-gray.jpg

Source

I have a Wahl hair clipper that I got at Walmart a while back. $20-30 for a haircut kit with different guards. It's a machine that will mow through anything I've put it against. I quit oiling it a long time ago. It seemed pointless. It feels like a tank.

My expensive beard trimmer crapped out on me a few months back, and when I went to replace it I stumbled onto this cheap (20 bucks) Gillette Fusion Proglide Trimmer/edge/razor.

Honestly it's the best thing I've ever used. The trimmer is really good for such a small thing. And I love the powered wet razor.

gillette.jpg

gillette_fusion_proglide_styler_01.jpg

614370.jpg

It's got a lot of power for something that runs on a single double a.

To de-beard yourself, if you don't wanna spend a lot, drop a 20 and get that. And use it as an electric wet razor if you don't need the trimmer after that.

I use that. It's good. I don't get the vibrating blade thing though, so I just leave it turned off. The trimmer works great on sideburns.

And yeah, we have occasion to wear SCBA and such at work. They don't work with a Santa Clause beard.

Back