Batch #9 with No Sanitizer!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI - I have a friend who has brewed about 15 years without using sanitizer. He has a practice of cleaning thoroughly before and after brewing. He also has special hot water heat cranked to the max too.

He brews in his basement and hoses everything down walls and floor. He has a ventilation system too to dry things out. Brews in 30 gallon quantities weekly. Has two large scale freezers w/ temp controls and a stock of about 60 cornies. No kidding!!

As far as I know he only has had one infection. Its been in the last year. He brewed a Belgian wheat beer style where he primed and repitched the yeast. He never repitched any of his beers in the past which was strange.

I don't recommend not using sanitizer since I'm not a gambling type nor do I take all the cleaning precautions as he does. He is a bit like the guy in "As Good As It Gets" where Jack Nicholas has to lock and unlock his front door 30 times to make sure its really locked. I don't have time to get crazy cleaning.

Bacchus - I say if it works for you, do it. I would NOT recommend to others to omit this step until they have a basic understanding on the process. To me, this is a measure of how good of a brewer you are to get away without using sanitizer.

BTW - My friend has a bunch of Iowa State Fair Ribbons for brewing.

I hear ya', brother. If you'll re-read my posts, you'll see what my intent was. It wasn't to advocate against sanitizing. It was to demonstrate to newbies that if I can brew beer without using a sanitizer, they shouldn't worry about minor sanitizing mistakes that they might make. Everything was fine until I said that I didn't like Star-San. That's when a couple of butt-brains jumped in and started attacking me. I guess they own stock in the company or something. Or maybe they've been nipping at their homebrew and just want to bicker like a couple of old ladies. LOL!!! I've never seen people actually want to fight over a stupid sanitizer.

That's when a couple of butt-brains jumped in and started attacking me. I guess they own stock in the company or something. Or maybe they've been nipping at their homebrew and just want to bicker like a couple of old ladies.

yep, name calling always goes over well in a debate :rolleyes:

congrats on that.

signed,

"butt brain"

(and for the record I don't own stock in the "company" - whatever that's referring to)

dont worry baccus its the keg effect for starsan if you speak gud for ne other or no sanitizer ppl go on a starsan trip like if you talk about bottling revvys law says someone will always say sumtin like 'screw bottling go keg'

yep, name calling always goes over well in a debate :rolleyes:

congrats on that.

signed,

"butt brain"

(and for the record I don't own stock in the "company" - whatever that's referring to)

Where was the debate? All I could garner was that you and your cohort didn't like the idea that I didn't like using Star-San because I didn't think it was all that safe. Next thing I knew, I was being told that I was telling newbies not to sanitize!!!! LOL! I'm always open for debate but when it becomes all-out attack....yeah.....I tend to get a little defensive. So sue me.

Where was the debate? All I could garner was that you and your cohort didn't like the idea that I didn't like using Star-San because I didn't think it was all that safe. Next thing I knew, I was being told that I was telling newbies not to sanitize!!!! LOL! I'm always open for debate but when it becomes all-out attack....yeah.....I tend to get a little defensive. So sue me.

all out attack??? where/when/how has this become an all out attack?

and why do you keep only saying Star-San? It's clear you have something against that product (which is fine, I guess). Like I said, there are several no rinse sanitizers on the market.

Keep no-sanitizing your equipment, and good luck to ya :mug:

Mellow out or a mod will lock this thread.

I'm mellow, dude. Really. But I'm not gonna have people that don't like my opinions attacking me without a defense. Go back and read from the beginning. You'll see how this escalated and got completely off-topic. I stated an opinion that obviously isn't popular and suddenly I was put on the defensive.

all out attack??? where/when/how has this become an all out attack?

and why do you keep only saying Star-San? It's clear you have something against that product (which is fine, I guess). Like I said, there are several no rinse sanitizers on the market.

Keep no-sanitizing your equipment, and good luck to ya :mug:

Thanks! Are you done now?

Thanks! Are you done now?

I was until you keep trolling with comments like the bolded one :D

You built your case from your title (Batch #9 with No Sanitizer!!!) - several disagreed and you've become defensive. Can't help you with that. Sorry.

I was until you keep trolling with comments like the bolded one :D

You built your case from your title (Batch #9 with No Sanitizer!!!) - several disagreed and you've become defensive. Can't help you with that. Sorry.

LOL! Funny thing is....I've already received about five private messages about what a trouble-making butt you are. Ok......you win. And BTW.....you're obviously a real hit with your fellow forum members. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL! Funny thing is....I've already received about five private messages about what a trouble-making butt you are. Ok......you win. And BTW.....you're obviously a real hit with your fellow forum members. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

again, name calling doesn't go over well on this forum :rolleyes:

again, name calling doesn't go over well on this forum :rolleyes:

Hey....I said "you win", ok? Really. Walk away with your head held high and your chest puffed out. You win, brother. Those PM's told me all I need to know.

Good fortune to you and yours.

The idea that a newb does not have to fret over his/her procedures, especially sanitization, is ludicrous. The only way any other brewer could feel secure is if he/she brewed in your "brewery".
Please do not give those who have not developed tried and true procedures in THEIR OWN situations the false sense of security you have.
It has nothing to do with what kind of sanitizer you choose to use. There are too many variables in brewing to be implying that a couple lucky batches is anything worth suggesting that sanitizing not be employed.

And, as one with no dog in the pissing match, please drop the passive agressive nonsense Bacchus. Your procedures work for you and no one else. Hear me now and believe me later.

The idea that a newb does not have to fret over his/her procedures, especially sanitization, is ludicrous. The only way any other brewer could feel secure is if he/she brewed in your "brewery".
Please do not give those who have not developed tried and true procedures in THEIR OWN situations the false sense of security you have.
It has nothing to do with what kind of sanitizer you choose to use. There are too many variables in brewing to be implying that a couple lucky batches is anything worth suggesting that sanitizing not be employed.

And, as one with no dog in the pissing match, please drop the passive agressive nonsense Bacchus. Your procedures work for you and no one else. Hear me now and believe me later.

Ahhhhh.....an AZ_IPA cronie. How sweet. He must be someone that you look up to, right?

Go back and re-read my posts. I never said that newbies shouldn't sanitize. I said that if I can brew great beers with no sanitizer then they shouldn't worry about minor sanitizing mistakes. How many times does it have to be said? Are you illiterate or just obtuse?

What in the hell is wrong with you people? Are your cows so sacred that no one can offer an opposing opinion? Must everyone be a machine that follows popular brewing consensus at all times? Is no one allowed to think outside the box? And are you so self-righteous in your defense of your sacred cows that it's considered acceptable to go back and twist what someone said? Or maybe it's just after 8:00 P.M in your region and you're drunk.

Passive aggressive? Is that the best "psychology-sounding" term that you could come up with? I realize that you were trying to come across as someone of great intellect but, trust me, it fell quite short of its mark. Of course your HBT cronies will all applaude and pat you on the back but that's what friends do.

I stand by what I originally posted. Anyone that wishes can take the time and go back and read the entire exchange. Some may say that I was the aggressor and some may say that others were the aggressors but ultimately, I was the one to concede and yield. And then here you come, stirring it all up again. Just couldn't leave well enough alone. I suppose that the honor of your hero was at stake.

This doesn't need to go on any longer unless somebody has a valuable comment regarding the OP.

Schlenkerla.....you were the one voice of reason in all of this. Thank you. You obviously come from a good upbringing and were taught diplomacy and that people have a right to express their thoughts without being berated. Kind of like myself. I see ten things per day on HBT that really "grinds my gears" but I bite my tongue and allow people to voice their opinions.

That's the one thing that I hope people take away from this entire ridiculous exchange. Think outside the box and let no one tell you that you're wrong. And whenever presented with a conflicting idea, allow that person the right to express their beliefs without fear of attack and retribution.

You can become too damned comfortable with your own little world.

Jesus Christ Peoples!!!!! You guys act like you have your panties wadded up your butt crack!! I support Bacchus on this one and completely understand why he wrote this thread.

Has anyone ever heard the term RDWHAHB??????? There is a reason why Charlie repeatedly said this throughout his book and I think Bacchus was just trying to prove that same point.

Take the the thread for what it is and quit badgering the witness.

(Bacchus you're welcome)

I post this not to fly in the face of anyone. I post it to make the noobs understand that if I can brew a great batch of beer with "hot water only" sanitizing......they should relax whenever they think they've made some major mistake. Beer brewing ain't as complex as some would have you believe. LOL!!!

Wow! And to think last night I was scared I didn't use enuff sanitizer on all my tools last night.

RDWHAHB! I don't use Star San...........I used some no rinse I got with my kit and then some britesan I got with from LHBS. I use what I can find but I like a no rinse as my process allows me to soak then drain then bottle..........works well for me. I have had alot of those Oh No noob mistakes where I did something I thought wasn't safe dealing with Sanitizing.........Had I seen a thread like this I'd be a little less nervous, so thanks I think some of of got the point of the thread.....

As for the To San or Not to San....Better safe than sorry.........
As for the Down with Star San........(To each his or her own) ......I guess I must try this product at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back